Sign in to follow this  

1990 cr 125 oil diagnosis

What is the easiest way to determine what the issue is when the oil is mixed with antifreeze?

I just picked this bike up last night and it supposedly has no problems...

I am attempting to change the clutch cause it barely shifted when I rode it earlier and when I drained the oil it was heavily mixed with antifreeze. Upon furher investigaion i found traces of metal in the oil as well. Any suggestions to diagose would be helpful. Thanks!

Water pump or water pump seal. When the seal goes bad it allows oil and water to mix. The metal you are seeing in the oil might be from the friction clutch plates. If you have a service book it should be covered in the trouble shooting section. It was a easy fix on my 96 cr250 when I had the same problem. Here I found this info you mite want to read up on. Its for a different year bike but it will give a more info. Also change your oil often I change mine after every two outings. http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-31/2000-cr250-oil-change-36955/

Oil will have a mikly gray color after running if mixed with anti-freeze. It takes suprisingly little water to turn the oil a milky color.

It's actually a milky green color, like baby sh*t. I just took apart the water pump and will replace the seal to see it fixes the problem, thanks Ben99R1. As for the metal shavings, it seems that the whole clutch plate assembly is a little loose/wobbly inside the case. Not sure if it needs new bearings or if this is normal...?

Thanks for getting back to me so quick!!

You welcome. Get a manuel it has a lot of info that you will need in the future. It will even tell you how much thickness you clutch plates should have before you change them out. You will surprised how much better things will feel when you put fresh oil in her. Ben

make sure you replace both seals, 1 for oil side and 1 for waterpump side as they have probably both failed