Artrax Tire Review

I bought the Soft/Intermediate tire. I wanted the Intermediate tire, but Motosport was out, so I got the Soft/Intermediate tire. The track I rode at and just about everything. It had alot of hardpacked areas, some soft good areas, and some slick muddy areas. I was real impressed with the tires. They seemed to do as good as the Bridgestone 403/404 tires. I thought they hooked up real good. I will buy the Artrax tires for now on. Next time I will order the Intermediate tires, because I would like to try them, because most of the tracks I ride on get pretty hardpacked, and I would just like to try them. For the price I figured I had to give them a try. I read that people had problems mounting the front tire, so when I was mounting the tires I made sure I had plenty of dishwashing liquid on the tire for when I aired it up. The rear beaded up no problem. The front gave me some issues but nothing major, the same issues I have had with other tires. I aired it up, let out the air, aired it up again to about 50 or so psi, and it beaded it up.

Overall, if you dont have an unlimited supply of money to throw at tires, or want to save money on tires, or want to have some cheap practice tires, I would recommend these tires. I will use them for now on. I really like them, and their price.

• Like 1

Is there a big difference between soft/intermediate tires compared to just intermediate tires?

I bought a soft/intermediate tire for an intermediate track becuase of a great deal I got.... would that be a huge difference?

Between the soft/intermediate tire and the intermediate tire there is a difference in tread pattern and rubber compund. The soft/intermediate tire will probably wear out faster, but it will also hook up better in soft stuff. Is there a difference yea, but not enough to worry about. If you got a good deal ride them until they are no good.

The weight difference, I would say the artrax is heavier than the bridgestone, but not by much. I can't tell a difference in weight when I ride. I also run heavy duty tubes, and I can't tell a difference when riding. The tread wear after one ride is not bad. I was also worried about that. They still look good, with square edge. I sisn't lose any knobs. We will see how it looks after a few rides.

I went riding on them again today in not the best conditions. It was dry, dusty, and slick. They were slick today. I was slipping quite a bit, but everybody was. No one would ever race in these conditions. As far as the wear, the tires held up pretty good. I want to ride them in race conditions, so I can get a good judge of the tires. I am going to continue to buy these. I like them. I will keep everyone updated as the tires wear, and as I get to ride on them more.

• 3 years later...

How much heavier are they than the Bridgestone 403/404? Keep us updated on the tread wear.

The Artrax tires are quite a bit heavier than the Bridgestones... and sometimes a PITA to get on the rim because they are so stiff. They do wear like iron though. One of the longest lasting tires I have ever used. They are a perfect choice for the practice bike.

• Like 1

I've been trying some different Artrax tires for the last year because of the great prices. The only gripe I have is the sidewalls especially on the fronts. They go soft very quickly for desert riding and you start to feel everything through the rim even with 18 PSI. The tires have never chunked and the front side knobs do not break off! If they would just stiffen up the front sidewalls a bit it would be a better tire than Bridgestone or Dunlop for off road. I think they are probably plenty good for track riding and wear like iron! By the way these tires for now are Motosport exclusive!

Edited by rmzpegger
  • Like 1

What do you mean they go soft? Which tires specifically? I used the mx pro on my practice bike last year and remember the sodewalls being some of the stiffest that I have ever dealt with which was why they were a pain to mount. They were so stiff hat I had to run 10 psi to get them to feel like 12-13 on the m403 up front

Not busting your balls or questioning your info, just curious.

What do you mean they go soft? Which tires specifically? I used the mx pro on my practice bike last year and remember the sodewalls being some of the stiffest that I have ever dealt with which was why they were a pain to mount. They were so stiff hat I had to run 10 psi to get them to feel like 12-13 on the m403 up front

Not busting your balls or questioning your info, just curious.

I've only tried the Top Gear 4 on the fronts, 80-100's. I've run the Super Enduro and SX versions on the rear. The rear tires have been great other than a lot of dirt between the sidewall bead and rim when changing tires. Tells me the bead is flexing away from the rim. Other brands don't do that. The Top Gear front side walls go soft after a few rides. They don't chunk knobs or break side knobs off and wear like iron except the side walls. They give out after a few rides. I ride desert which is often high speed and brutal! I've never had any difficulty mounting any of them and they are easier than most tires I've mounted especially the fronts. They are good tires for the money especially a recreational rider! I run them on my 250's. But on my bigger faster mean machines I'm still looking for quality first and then price. One of my 450 riding partners that got me to try them swears by them and then I look at all the flat spots in his rims. It may be a matter of terrain and speed. I see you are from Ohio and probably are a track or woods rider which in that case the Artax may be a good tire?

Edited by rmzpegger

I've only tried the Top Gear 4 on the fronts, 80-100's. I've run the Super Enduro and SX versions on the rear. The rear tires have been great other than a lot of dirt between the sidewall bead and rim when changing tires. Tells me the bead is flexing away from the rim. Other brands don't do that. The Top Gear front side walls go soft after a few rides. They don't chunk knobs or break side knobs off and wear like iron except the side walls. They give out after a few rides. I ride desert which is often high speed and brutal! I've never had any difficulty mounting any of them and they are easier than most tires I've mounted especially the fronts. They are good tires for the money especially a recreational rider! I run them on my 250's. But on my bigger faster mean machines I'm still looking for quality first and then price. One of my 450 riding partners that got me to try them swears by them and then I look at all the flat spots in his rims. It may be a matter of terrain and speed. I see you are from Ohio and probably are a track or woods rider which in that case the Artax may be a good tire?

Yea I am a track rider. Like I said I was not questioning you. I was just curious. I have just never heard this. I got rid of the bike that I was running the artrax mx pro on so I never got to look to see if there were any signs of what you are describing. Pretty interesting stuff though.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a little confused by this thread? Every sand tire I have ever owned was a much more hard and durable compound than the hard terrain tire which always had a softer compound?

Edited by bnyfe
  • Like 1

A hard terrain tire has a softer compound so it can put more knobs on the ground, a soft tire is a harder compound so it can dig into the mud or sand. So obviously you dont want a soft"digging" tire on a hardpacked track, vise versa. Soft tires chunk because as they try to dig into the ground, they cant because its hard packed so they chunk.