Sign in to follow this  

Does this PW50 have a bent frame ?

New member and first-time poster here. Hopefully, some of you PW50 gurus can answer my questions and give me some guidance.

I do not have access to another PW50 for comparison. None of my local dealers even have a PW50 on the showroom floor (new or used).

I just got my kids a 2005 PW50 that appears to be in great condition except for the typical broken "Off-Run-Start" switch and the fact that the mounting holes on the rear fender do not line up very well with the threaded holes on the frame. The discrepancy is about 1/2 inch. If I push down really hard on the seat, I can get the holes "almost" lined up, but I would not think that this should be the case.

IMG_0577-1.jpg

Here are a couple of side views of the rear loop of the frame. Is this part of the frame bent upwards or does it look normal ?

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

There is also a hole drilled in to the very back of this loop of the frame. Does it come this way from the factory ?

IMG_0581.jpg

The rear part of the frame is symmetrical. Except for the scraped area visible in the photo above, I do not see any creases, stretched metal or stress in the paint. The welds are intact and appear to be factory. I cannot see any paint touch-ups and it appears that this is the original factory paint.

IMG_0580.jpg

If this loop of the frame is bent upwards, what is the best way to get it back to normal position without distorting the symmetry or damaging the welds ?

Any guidance or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

I had the same problem with the bolt holes on our kids' '95. We had two sets of plastic; one set was worse than the other. Ours also had the hole in the rear hoop. Your frame is probably fine - maybe it was welded up in the jig on a Monday or Friday.

Sorry, I don't have a 50 either for comparison, but from the photos, if it was bent, whomever bent it did an excellent job of keeping it perfectly even without kinking anything, highly unusual for a crash.

I think it's supposed to be that way, although I'll admit the hole in the hoop looks off center in at least two dimensions.

bronc3 and Smacaroni, thank you both for your input.

I was hoping that this frame wasn't tweaked. I didn't think it was, because everything was still symmetrical and I could see no signs of metal stress or fatigue. You two have confirmed what I thought and I appreciate it.

i am at work and cant post pics, but i will post pics of our bent frame later.

i put it in a hydralic press and bent it back into shape. then we had to gusset up the neck and backbone of the pw.