Sign in to follow this  

sprocket question

so my '04 crf450r has factory chain and sprockets on it and i plan on putting new stuff on it but and i know what different size sprockets in the rear will do but what does it affect when i change the front sprocket?

Smaller front sprocket = more low end and less top speed

Larger front sprocket = more top speed

3 teeth on the rear sprocket = 1 tooth on the front sprocket in most cases

ok i was told once that it was just the opposite of that and i didnt think that seemed right, thanks

no what he said is correct for the front..but it works the opposite for the rear...

larger rear-more torque less speed

smaller rear - more top end speed less torque

yeah i knew that about the rear, im thinking about doing 13 in the front with 50 in the rear but now i gotta decide what sprocket set i want, i have used tag sprockets in the past and i loved how durable and long lasting they were but my brother-in-law has always used renthals and the thing i like about them the most is that i can get one in red and it looks sweet on my bike, but they just dont seem to hold up as long as my tag sprockets have, any opinions on this for front and rear sprockets and also what chain is best without spending a ton of money on it

I've always ran renthal sprockets and a DID 520 X-Ring chain, but that particular chain is pretty pricey. You can't go wrong with either of those brands.