Sign in to follow this  

Supercross - How much racing is really happening?

Ok, time for some Monday night "arm-chair" racing (kinda like arm-chair quarterbacking but much louder)...

I just had a good time at the Atlanta Supercross over the past weekend. The show is really cool, pyro-technics, lights and fan-fare, etc.. But what about the racing?

When the riders line up on the starting gate and the gate drops, there are 20 to 22 guys racing for the first turn. Then after a few turns things start to "sort" out. After a couple of laps, there seemed to be a lot of "follow the leader". Now I understand that those guys are the tops in the sport. I understand that they are so close in speed and talent, that getting a good start is a really important part of the race.... BUT... I also understand that when I watched RC race, it didn't matter where he started, he was charging toward the front. For that matter, #22 and #7 are much the same way. Those guys expect to win. So, you can see them racing toward the front.

Now I'm not saying that there weren't a few really cool moments of racing, but honestly, I'd be hard pressed to remember more than 3 or 4 passes (beyond the first lap or two) for the entire evening show. (yea, a bit of an exaderation, but not much). So, is the pack (both Lites and SX) so evenly matched at the moment that there simply isn't anyone able to pass?

Ok... that's my 2-cents... any thoughts?

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I totally had a good time at the show, but just wish I'd seen a bit more "racing"!:thumbsup:

To be honest, SX is cool and all, but I cant wait for the outdoors. :thumbsup:

I agree. But pertaining to the topic of this thread, the outdoors is even worse imo. The fast guys in front can get even bigger leads. At least with SX if someone in front goofs they are tossed back in the mix with everyone else. Also i enjoy them having to mess with lappers. It adds an interesting mix to the racing. I know ppl dog lappers but the guys who are really the cream of the crop (stewart and reed) can make very quick work of them.

I was at Atlanta also for my first ever SX race and the thing that I noticed most was the huge difference in abilities in just the 450 class. I was surprised that only a little more than half of the 450 riders were willing to jump the quad even in practice (not that I would ever try it) but when I saw a few privateer 250 guys like Alex Martin hitting the quad I thought all the 450 guys would be doing it also. It just shows that about 2/3 of the riders in the main dont have any shot at winning and I guess that's why Dungey and Canard can move up and do very well especially when Reed and Stewart are out.

Just my observations

If you expect 10 - 15 of 20 riders to all be competitive and all have a chance at winning then yeah i guess i would agree with you. But I think that this year has been as entertaining as any in the last 5 years.

We have had 4 different winners this year (Villipoto, Dungey, Stewart, Milsaps) and 4-3 others (Hill, Short, Windham) that have led laps and been threatening to win.

Last Saturday's lites race was a 3 man race with banging and passing until Barcia and Stroupe crashed. And the main in the 450's was entertaining until RV endo'ed. And in that race the guy who finished 2nd is a fill in and was in only his second 450 race.

And then we have J Law racing to.

Im enjoying it more than the Chad and Bubba show of the last 3 yrs.

Its RACING. Some people are better than others.

absolutely agree... otherwise, there'd be a big crowd going over the finish line jump! Racing also indicates that there will be some mishaps, some upsets including an "underdog" passing or evening winning over a "favorite".

But your point is well taken. Racing is RACING and you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes, things just sort out quickly, other times, the racing occurs right down to the last turn.

If you expect 10 - 15 of 20 riders to all be competitive and all have a chance at winning then yeah i guess i would agree with you. But I think that this year has been as entertaining as any in the last 5 years.

We have had 4 different winners this year (Villipoto, Dungey, Stewart, Milsaps) and 4-3 others (Hill, Short, Windham) that have led laps and been threatening to win.

Last Saturday's lites race was a 3 man race with banging and passing until Barcia and Stroupe crashed. And the main in the 450's was entertaining until RV endo'ed. And in that race the guy who finished 2nd is a fill in and was in only his second 450 race.

And then we have J Law racing to.

Im enjoying it more than the Chad and Bubba show of the last 3 yrs.

You definately hit the highlights of the Atlanta race right on the button! As you mention, at times there are 5 or 10 guys who have legitimate chances of winning. Having someone "walk away" with the win is perhaps fun for the rider, but as a spectator it's not as "exciting" as say watching a couple (or three) dicing for position. Having mulitiple winners this season does indicate a more balanced field. :thumbsup:

Have ya ever watched NASCAR?

I try but I keep falling asleep! :thumbsup:

I do have some buddies who have tried to explain the intricate details of a race and what goes on throughout the race. All interesting but unless there are some people getting passed and some 'chess playing' going on, it just gets a little too hypnotic.

However, I have seen some really cool races and enjoy it whether the "racing" is at the front of the pack or the back.

Seems you'll have that in every sport. The super athletes that blow the field away then it tapers off from there...In Supercross, worst phrase for the fans is 'the leader has checked out'.

Have you checked out the pro basketball team of the New Jersey Nets lately, their record is 6-53, ouch!