Sign in to follow this  

PW50 High rpm missing

I have a pw50 that starts right up, idles fine, will ride around just fine at any throttle position but when hitting near top speed it kind of misses or sputters or something. It sounds like a rev limiter, on the stand or riding. The washer is out of the exhaust. Adjusted the carb. About 100 psi compression. Any ideas?

its a bike for little kids, its limited..its suppose to do that. thats so the engine wont hit the powerband and the kid gets scared crapless by the sudden burst of speed.

Oh, never had another one so I had no idea how it's supposed to run. I know it's for little kids but my 3 year old lets me ride it too. 6'1" on a pw50 must look funny. I found out the exhaust port had A LOT of carbon build up. Took the cylinder off and cleaned it all out and sanded the port smooth. Waiting on a new Piston and gaskets to put it back together. Figured a new piston is probably due. Had some rattling going on.

the pw's can go lots of hours on top ends. this is partly because they never get into a power band. i would venture to say they never will get past 4-5000 RPM, due to the ignition limiter.

The PW50 has a limiter. Look on the frame behind the carb. Will be a little black box that plugs into the wire harness. You can just unplug it and the bike will have a few more rpms and maybe 5mph faster. Even tho you have the washer out, the pw50 will build up heavy carbon in the exhaust port and first part of the pipe, so check that out.

I should warn you, when you unplug the little box it changes the start/kill switch on the handlebars. You will no longer need to move the switch to the start position. The switch will be just an on and off switch. So if this is a problem for your child, I would not unplug the box.

Its been several years since we ran pw50 stock and modified so the jetting popped in my mind and I recommend you do this first. The air box realy restricts the stock bike and the main jet needs to be leaned down to clean out the top speed of the little bike. Jet the main to get a nice clean coco brown spark plug and it should let the bike run clean and stop the spitting out on the top end. You can modify the air box to help, but I don't recommend this mod if your child runs in mud or water puddles (and they like mud and water its fun). The air filter will get wet and it will pick up more dirt.

Edited by Padgett
note

I'm not going to do any significant mods. The bike is supposed to be my kids. The little black box was actually bad when I got the bike. It would only run in start then die after 4-5 seconds if I switched to run, so I took it out and tossed it. Problem solved, probably why it was for sale in the first place. I didn't know they had a rev limiter other than the exhaust washer. Im starting to think I wasted $$ on a piston kit. Oh well, Im still probably less than $100 invested in the bike.