Sign in to follow this  

What to look for in a bike?

I am buying a new used bike, (06 or up yz250f) and i have a list in my head for what to watch out for. Like leaking/burning oil, loose/missing spokes, cracks in frame, dents in rim, etc.

What else should i look out for? The last bike i bought was amazing looking but rough on the engine side of things and i dont want to make the same mistake again. Anyone got any more watch out type ideas i could look for before i buy the bike? Thanks!

Check the air filter for cleanliness, as well as the oil condition and even for rust on the chain to see if it was maintained...

water in the radiator to see if its full, water in the oil, noisy engine, throttle response to make sure the piston isnt jacked, when the valves were checked, take the spark plug off to see if its lean or to rich. wheel bairings, break pads, making sure the numbers match on the engine and frame, tread on tires and see how many times he replaced it.. not much u can see unless taking the head of the top end to see if it hasnt been jacked with.. good luck!

Oh smart thank you, yeah that was the problem with the other bike. It wasnt maintained properly.

heres a list i used and got a good bike from

coolant in radiators

must start easily

no smoke

clean oil

clean airfilter

runs well with no hiccups etc

smoke doesnt smell sweet like its burning coolant

no oil leaks

ask the owner about the maintenace schedule

i dont worry so much about chains and sprockets and tire because compare to rebuiliding a engine there cheap and quick to change

Ask about his maintenance schedule and get specific...ask about everything from air filter to linkage bearings..if the guy can answer immediately or better yet keeps a log (great) if he starts to stutter and make shit up walk away..do a compression test and ask for receipts...

can you do a compression test on a yz 250f

i thought that you could only do leak down tests on 4 strokes

well all advice sounds good to me...here is where i just got bent over and ramed without my favorite lube (castrol R for the old guys like me)....i inspected the living heck out of my new bike with it appearing everything was in order...spent 3 months restoring and started the little booger...piston slap all to hell like bad piston slap then lock up....%^^$$## and off i went down the yellow brick road to the motor shop....some redneck trailer trash deliverance type knucklehead had bored the jug and replaced rings...ok thats cool,,but then the dumbass put back in the stock piston....DUH...point is i would have never ever found this so just use common sense....oil leaks, check rubber parts, cables, clutch, any sign of abuse...so on and so forth...luckily you have found a newer bike which will help..god speed

ps:motor lock....exploded piston rod cam bearing with thrust washed sucked up into jug resulting in .040 bore...damn bike runs like choir boy fleeing a priest now though...god speed

Hey guys sorry aboutthe delay but thank you for all your feedback. I am going to take all of that into consideration this time. I dont wanna get hosed again!!