Sign in to follow this  

Buying a 125 for training and fun

I am considering buying a modern 125 to use for practice, training and to have fun on. I am 16 years old, 200lb, and ride in the Amateur or "B" class in GP's and desert, and the "C" class in motocross. I now have a 2008 YZ450f and enjoy the bike, but I think I would have a lot of fun riding a 125. I would most likely be a Yamaha years 2004-2008, but I'd consider other brands. I would be looking for a stock bike or possibly slightly modified, but still be reliable. Would I have fun,or would I end up hating my decision after a month? I don't want to put a lot of money into the bike with aftermarket parts and replacement parts. I would use the bike for motocross, the occasional off-road ride, training, and having fun riding. Would buying one be a good decision, or am I crazy?:thumbsup:

I'm in a similar situation, with an 08 YZ450 racing C in motocross. I have an older KX250, all tricked out, but, I almost never ride it anymore. I'm thinking about selling it and picking up a newer YZ125, seems like it'd be a cheap fun bike to ride, help keep the hours off my main race bike, and hopefully pick up some skills too.

I was thinking about using my sisters 01 for that. I think it would make me a better rider training on a 125 two stroke. Then when I went back to my 250 I could get faster.

I've got an 03' that's pretty much stock that we don't ride anymore, it needs a top end, but we've got the piston already, just too lazy to put it in haha. PM me if you're interested.

stick in a set of VForce3 reeds and get a fatty pipe. otherwise just set up the suspention for you and go ride the heck out of the mountain bike with power that is the 125!!! it will improve your 450 skills.

Picked one up myself so I could beat it like a red-headed stepchild.:thumbsup: yeeeeeeaaah

Im dont know how much you would like it since it would be going down in power, but when i got my ktm 125 it was the best bike i had ever gotten and it was a great price. Im not saying that the 125s dont have a ton of power but compared to your 450 4 stroke? If you can get a good deal on one i think you should get one they are really fun to play around with! If your getting a yz i wouldnt get an 04 that was their one weak year!

Well, this plan will have to go into the backseat as I had to disassemble the engine out of my YZ450f to replace transmission parts and while I'm in there I'll be purchasing some replacement parts as well. It's a bummer but it's my main bike and I need to keep it in the best condition I can. Maybe down the road I'll get back to this 125 idea.

Thanks for all of the suggestions:thumbsup: