Sign in to follow this  

Buying a 125 for training and fun

I am considering buying a modern 125 to use for practice, training and to have fun on. I am 16 years old, 200lb, and ride in the Amateur or "B" class in GP's and desert, and the "C" class in motocross. I now have a 2008 YZ450f and enjoy the bike, but I think I would have a lot of fun riding a 125. I would most likely be a Yamaha years 2004-2008, but I'd consider other brands. I would be looking for a stock bike or possibly slightly modified, but still be reliable. Would I have fun,or would I end up hating my decision after a month? I don't want to put a lot of money into the bike with aftermarket parts and replacement parts. I would use the bike for motocross, the occasional off-road ride, training, and having fun riding. Would buying one be a good decision, or am I crazy?:thumbsup:

If you have the money to spend, I would say do it. They are fun bikes and you can always use extra bikes.

Plus they are cheap. You should be able to get one for under $2k.

If you get a YZ125 get a 2006 or never they have better suspension.

And yes they are a blast to ride! I just bought a 08 YZ125 after riding a buddy's.

I sold my '05 YZ125 for my '06 KX250 and wish I had kept it. It was a whole bunch of fun on the tight trails - a mountain bike with a motor! A FWW did help it keep from spinning up the rear on slick surfaces.

I have a WR450 and just got a YZ 125. I love it. Too much fun. I'm 200 lbs and slow.

125s are awesome fun off road. I moved up a class in a few weeks after getting one. it improved my riding so much. Plus they are so much less physically demanding to ride. My YZ250 is now for sale. A local AA guy hasd the same experience. He sold his KTM 300XC for a 150SX and has been getting the best reults he has had in a a while.

Well, this plan will have to go into the backseat as I had to disassemble the engine out of my YZ450f to replace transmission parts and while I'm in there I'll be purchasing some replacement parts as well. It's a bummer but it's my main bike and I need to keep it in the best condition I can. Maybe down the road I'll get back to this 125 idea.

Thanks for all of the suggestions:thumbsup:

Good luck with your tranny. I rode 125 two strokes for years. Every once in a while I need the quick shift and clutch skills that were honed on those bikes. If you are serious about racing I'd say a 125 is at some point in your training, mandatory.