Sign in to follow this  

Clunk from rear end, Tacoma

I have an 04 Taco v6 4x4 that has a clunk every time i come to a stop or just let off the brakes at a stop. I can see the t-case and transmission handles moving with the clunk. It goes away for a few days if i grease the driveshaft but always returns. Any ideas? I

I have the same thing happen to my 01 Tacoma. I traced it down to axle wrap. It is a pretty common thing on Tacoma's. For me it only happens when I come to a stop quick or even average speed and I let off of the brakes to take off. If I come to a stop really slow, I don't get it.

From my research, the main thing that causes it is the flattening of the rear leaf springs. When you come to a stop, the rear axle actually rotates slightly and when you give it gas, it rotates back causing the clunk. My rear leaf springs are actually arched the wrong way because of heavy truck bed use which makes axle wrap really bad in my truck. I have been driving that way for about 3 years with no problems other than the annoyance.

I have the same thing happen to my 01 Tacoma. I traced it down to axle wrap. It is a pretty common thing on Tacoma's. For me it only happens when I come to a stop quick or even average speed and I let off of the brakes to take off. If I come to a stop really slow, I don't get it.

From my research, the main thing that causes it is the flattening of the rear leaf springs. When you come to a stop, the rear axle actually rotates slightly and when you give it gas, it rotates back causing the clunk. My rear leaf springs are actually arched the wrong way because of heavy truck bed use which makes axle wrap really bad in my truck. I have been driving that way for about 3 years with no problems other than the annoyance.

I have an 03 Silverado where I was experiencing the same thing and 1 shop was telling me it was axle wrap to the point of having cracked leaf springs...It wound up being the tranny!

I would imagine if axle wrap was so bad that it cracks a leaf spring then I would imagine that there would be some other damage as well. Tranny, u-joints, ect.

I would imagine if axle wrap was so bad that it cracks a leaf spring then I would imagine that there would be some other damage as well. Tranny, u-joints, ect.

If you're referring to my post that's not what I said...I had 2 different mechanics check out my truck...1 said he thought it was axle wrap and he thought the rear leafs may be broken...the other mechanic who had originally "fixed' the tranny went back into it and found it hadn't been fixed 100%...problem solved.

As for the OP I wouldn't ignore the problem...take it to a reputable mechanic and have them check it out!

I have an 04 Taco v6 4x4 that has a clunk every time i come to a stop or just let off the brakes at a stop. I can see the t-case and transmission handles moving with the clunk. It goes away for a few days if i grease the driveshaft but always returns. Any ideas? I

The shifter and T-case handles will move some, but not a whole lot.

I'd start by inspecting motor and trans mounts in search of a broken motor mount causing them to move more than they should (well, the whole assy rocking left-right).

I have checked the mounts and they are all good. Its not a side to side but a front to back movement. My dads 99 Taco with twice the miles doesnt do this(his is a manual) Axle wrap makes sense but how do you get rid of it?

Its a result of differential wrap up. Automatic transmissions only. Here is what is happening. As you brake, the differnetial tries to roll forward, as the rear shoes are attatched to the rear axle. So it rolls the diff forward, the pinion nose dives down and the slip yoke on the driveshaft puls apart, then you apply the brakes. But with the automatic transmission, the "load" is still on the slip yoke because an automatic will keep applying pressure ot the driveshaft. So the bind on the slip yoke in the extended position holds the rear diff "wrapped up" and when you release the brake, it unwinds and gives you the affect you just got lightly bumped buy a car behind you. Does this sound right? Add more grease to the slip yoke. I mean quite a bit. Just enough to where the slip yoke tries to push apart. But make sure the truck is setting on the ground, not suspened in the air when doing this. Otherwise, you can overfill the slip yoke and under a bump the slip yoke could try to compress the grease (which doesnt happen) and it can break something. Another fix, come to a stop easier. Are you an aggressive driver and come to stops braking hard? Pop the tranny in neutral just before you come to a complete stop, all ways of eliminating this. Also stiffer rear leaf springs will do too.

• Like 1

Did every one else forget what he said in the first post? He gresed the drive shaft and it goes away for a few days. I would check the U joints. get under there and start swinging on the drive shaft looking for any loosness, there should be none.

Mark

Did every one else forget what he said in the first post? He gresed the drive shaft and it goes away for a few days. I would check the U joints. get under there and start swinging on the drive shaft looking for any loosness, there should be none.

Mark

Waste of time, I explained the whole problem. I realized he said he greased the drivehaft slip yoke, but he needs to do it again the way I suggested he do it. The problem is exactly what I said it is, you wont find anything else, PERIOD!

Its a result of differential wrap up. Automatic transmissions only. Here is what is happening. As you brake, the differnetial tries to roll forward, as the rear shoes are attatched to the rear axle. So it rolls the diff forward, the pinion nose dives down and the slip yoke on the driveshaft puls apart, then you apply the brakes. But with the automatic transmission, the "load" is still on the slip yoke because an automatic will keep applying pressure ot the driveshaft. So the bind on the slip yoke in the extended position holds the rear diff "wrapped up" and when you release the brake, it unwinds and gives you the affect you just got lightly bumped buy a car behind you. Does this sound right? Add more grease to the slip yoke. I mean quite a bit. Just enough to where the slip yoke tries to push apart. But make sure the truck is setting on the ground, not suspened in the air when doing this. Otherwise, you can overfill the slip yoke and under a bump the slip yoke could try to compress the grease (which doesnt happen) and it can break something. Another fix, come to a stop easier. Are you an aggressive driver and come to stops braking hard? Pop the tranny in neutral just before you come to a complete stop, all ways of eliminating this. Also stiffer rear leaf springs will do too.

:banana: This is exactly what I came across when researching axle wrap. The best and easiest solution I found to axle wrap is coming to a stop slower/easier although shifting into neutral works it is just a pain in the but for every stop.

Waste of time, I explained the whole problem. I realized he said he greased the drivehaft slip yoke, but he needs to do it again the way I suggested he do it. The problem is exactly what I said it is, you wont find anything else, PERIOD!

I heard of this from an 09 Chevy Suburban owner...re-greased, problem resolved. That's probably what they did to my Chevy...

Good advice! :banana:

cool thanks for the tips guys. I greased the drive shaft and its spitting out the bottom by the rear u joint, is there a seal that i can replace if i separate the two pieces? I think my problem is that I greased it until it started moving but it was up in there air. Thanks again