Sign in to follow this  

Anybody use Dual Sport America kits?

Company is in Riverside, CA

http://dualsportamerica.com

They're selling a bare bones dual sport kit for the 450x which includes:

horn

license plate bracket/light

brake/taillight combo with rear brake switch (add $20 for front brake switch)

headlight connectors for high/low beam

keyed ignition

wiring harness

Price is $211 and they'll install it for an extra $70.

I live in California, but thinking about plating the bike in Arizona.

I bought his kit for my xr 400 and am sad to say you get what you pay for and the customer service was not good at all. I ordered the kit off the website had not recieved it in 2 weeks so i called him and left a message. did not get a call back i found his kits on ebay and had to open a ebay acct so i could send him a message through ebay because he would not return my calls after i messaged him through ebay and told him i was going to call the bbb he called me shortly after. he told me it was a busy time of the year and that he had not shipped the kit becasue of time he hadnt had a chance to build the kit. he was very rude on the phone all though he did ship me a free battery pack which looks like 4 aa batterys in some shrink wrap . the kit works but it took some serious figuring to get it working correctly also i remember looking at feedback on ebay and he and someone else use the same acct and most of the good feedback was for the little trinkets that were being sold not the dualsport kits. if i had to do it all again i would be going with bd or dakar. luckly my x has the baja kit on it already so no worries there. from what I can see the baja kit is made of higher quality components. the switches on the dsa kit have already turned a light grey color in less than a year and look like crap. the kit on the x is 3 years old and the components are in better condition. Either way the bike got plated so im happy with it. good luck use a major credit card with fraud protection buy carefully.

I just ordered the bare bones kit to plate my bike in AZ. I went with the very basic kit for $160. There is some good and some bad.

Good:

The license plate bracket is fantastic, but you can buy it separately from them too.

The brake light with license plate light is really good. Other suppliers don't have the license plate light built in.

Bad:

All I needed was a horn switch, but what I got was a unit with a horn switch, blinker switch (didn't need), and high/low beam switch (didn't need). I threw it away and used a kill switch.

Conclusion:

Buy their license plate bracket and brake light (as well as the hydraulic switch), and horn separately. You'll save money and have a better system.

Edited by exaresix

I bought my 08 used with it already installed. No complaints here yet. It all seems to work fine. I did have to resolder some connectors when I was working behind the light and they pulled out of their plugs, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the company, or the installer (or maybe even me).

I have the kit with the blinkers, license plate bracket, key switch, handlebar switch, running/brake light (with hydraulic switches on both brakes). Also, not sure how it's supposed to be wired up, but my key switch will only prevent the bike from electric starting (you can still kick it). I think I can rewire it to work correctly though - which I will probably do one of these days.

Seems like a decent kit - and I love the fact that it uses the stock light - as I think the baja designs one is hideous.

Do a search on this company (aka dual sport.com, dual sport america .com, etc). Many, many bad customer service issues.

In my opinion, the kits are extremely cheaply built, and use the cheapest parts possible.

Not a value in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to look into buying the pieces separately and wiring it up myself. Kind of intimidated because I have zero experience with electrical systems, though.

Exaresix,

Are the items in the "barely legal" kit all you need to plate the 450x in Arizona? I have family in Tucson and Phoenix willing to help me out.

Do not stop, go directly to Trick Dual Sport or Baja Designs, either one will set you up and take good care of you. Don't go the "do it yourself" route since you admit to being limited in that area.

How is the kit from Electrosport? I hear that Trent is working on a kit for the X that has everything except the headlight. Should be available in a few weeks. It even has the built in harness for the Acewell speedometers. They are the ones that use a pick up cable that plugs right into the stock front hub.

p.s. I like the Unbound graphics kit on the bike in the photo. Seems like for $100, including the seat cover, it's a great deal.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

Disclaimer: Tired from riding all day and just finished a pitcher of Mai Tais.

Edited by Blue Hawaii

If it helps... some searches for what you seek;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=10203737

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=10203741

... I don't have any personal experience with the guy, but Baja Designs is used to compare "kits" because they build the best/better kit. They can custom bare-bone it for you too... all you have to do is call them, and ask Diego.

JAT:

The links reply with: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

oops.

I entered; "dual sport america" and "Lee Shaw"

Use the quotes, and your search is more defined by what's in those quotes

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to look into buying the pieces separately and wiring it up myself. Kind of intimidated because I have zero experience with electrical systems, though.

Exaresix,

Are the items in the "barely legal" kit all you need to plate the 450x in Arizona? I have family in Tucson and Phoenix willing to help me out.

Yes, that is all you need. You actually need less. Here's what you need for AZ:

DST brake light/license plate light

DST brake light hydraulic switch

DST license plate bracket

A horn (available at any auto parts store)

A horn button (most use a kill switch for this)

Mirror

You can do this yourself, it's easy. I'll do it for you for $100, or you can go to DST and they'll do it for $70.

I used the dual sport set up. I really like the lowpro turn signals. The harness wasn't to bad to set up and do. The turn signal relay never worked. The guy sounds like hes some sorta barfly or something, a total knucklehead. He wouldn't replace it for me without another 30 bucks or something. I've just been finger poppin' the signal for a couple years. The kit works, maybe not great, but I'm legal.

I am really unhappy....some changes are going to take place. I am not going to be walked on. This guy can't be a motorcyclist, we would never do these things to each other. Gentlemen, this is fraud and has to be stopped. I have a lot of extra time (or will make it), money and a lot of energy to make sure this does not happen to anyone else. If you have been charged for something you never received from Dual Sport America please feel free to post a testimonial. Read my profile, I am very serious about this. Stayed tuned, I will keep you updated.

Do some searching. You will see his customer service and product sucks. He has gone under a few names over the years. I work to hard to buy products that are shit. I would never buy a thing from him if I was you.

As you can read in my previous posts I was foolish enough to buy a DSA kit before I checked all the forums. It was missing a crucial part, kept blowing fuses, and I received almost non-existent help with issues. I bought the full kit with key ignition and dual hydraulic brake light switches. A better choice would have been the barely legal but would not have made the rest of the experience any better. The owner immediately blamed me when I did contact him about repeatably blowing the fuse in his harness (separate from the main 15AMP Honda fuse).

I then discovered a company and owner that were the complete opposite. Roy at RYCOMOTO (My caps. not theirs) in Utah. I emailed to ask if they could salvage the DSA kit using my parts (many of which were the same as his kit).

I wanted to keep the light that replaced the stock Honda taillight with the DSA light Which has 10 LEDs and a brake light but fits in the same fender slot. I also wanted to use the DSA almost invisible stick on,under fender LED license plate light in conjunction with the almost weightless aluminum plate bracket from DSA. His fender with large LED light was the same as used in some other kits but I wanted a stealth installation and am concerned that a lot of Ohio clay might put too much stress on the CRF250X fender. All the turn signals and the tailight were black (flush mount rears) with orange/red LEDs in keeping with the black plastic on the bike (these lights also a DSA option).

To all of these requests...WAIT FOR IT.... he replied, "Yes, I can do that send me your parts and I will fix it, mail it back and you can PAY ME WHAT IT IS WORTH TO YOU!!!

I sent $50 earnest money along with all the parts and told him to keep the extra stuff like the 2nd hydraulic brake switch, horn, (using air horn). Every email was promptly answered, the repair was returned in less than 2 weeks along with 6 pages of instructions and all the extra parts I had sent! I had one minor question about where to plug in a wire and a couple of stupid things I could have figured out myself in short order. He personally answered the phone in 3 rings 3 times in one day and straightened me out in a very patient manner. Most of the wiring was new. All long runs were a heavier than normal wiring, no plugs to install, only 2 splice connectors to the rear tail light to get the required 12 volt power. The wiring includes accessory plugins installed for GPS - etc. 12v power devices and the horn connectors are there if I want to take 2mins and install the electric horn.

Two other things. 1. The DSA kit had some very good ideas, just horrible customer relations and bad engineering. I will try to post a picture of the bike. You can hardly tell that it it is completely street legal hi/lo beam,signals, etc.

2. I sent Roy more money and a "tip" for the FANTASTIC work and help he provided. His kits are available direct from him or through Rockey Mountain ATV/Motorcycle.

Yiddish has a name for a guy like Roy: MENSCH

Sean Ahern

Be careful with this guy !!! He ripped me off for $337 dollars !!!Check the other threads about him !!!!