Sign in to follow this  

07X or older to 08 or 09X?

Anyone go from an 07x or older and bought an 08 and really liked / noticed the difference? I have never owned a 450x but have owned 450 KTM's. I am selling my 09 YZ 250 and want to by another 450. I need electric start and the green sticker. I race hare scrambles and practice on a motocross track. We also ride the no cal single track and an occasional enduro. Is the big 450x going to be too much for this. I have ridden the 06 450x back to back with my old (08 450 xcfw ktm) and thought it felt like a big bike that would hate the woods. This has probably been asked before but I didn't find what I was looking for in the search function.

Anyone in no cal using a 450X for the same?

Thanks folks

I’ve ridden an ’07 and I own an ’08 but I haven’t spent enough time on either to give you a good comparison. What I can tell you is that you will notice the difference in the steering geometry. The ’08 has clamps with a 22mm off-set and a lot of people do this mod to their ’07 and older bikes. I really didn’t believe such a small change in the off-set could make such a big difference in turning. My 450R feels like you have to force it to turn where my X turns really quick.

I think it is a good all-purpose bike that I happen to really like for single track. It’s not bad on an MX track either unless you’re a big air guy.

Have you had any of the problems that I have read about with the 08 / 09 motors?

Have you had any of the problems that I have read about with the 08 / 09 motors?

What problems have you read about? The de-compressor pin failure is the only one I know about and I don’t think it’s that common. I haven’t had any problems but my bike is still new.

That is the only "big" problem I have read about on this forum. Is that issue covered by honda if it happens and is there a certain vin batch that it has happened to? I get too analytical when I get close to buying a new bike and sometimes talk myself out of a particular model.

Well I posted a reply to this and something messed up so here goes for round 2. I have an 08' that I bought in july of 2008. My race buddy also has an 08 that he bought a few months before me. We both race hare scrambles here in IL which consists mostly of tight woods, creek crossings and hills. I am 5'9" and 140 pounds, he is 6'2" and around 190. Neither of us have any issues when it comes to throwing these bikes around. We both have around 2000 miles on our bikes and neither of us have had any issues. I wouldn't think twice about throwing my name out there to the reliability and durability of the 450x, at least for 2008. I have no experience with the older X's but am certain you wouldn't be the least bit disappointed. The electric start is one of the best things about this bike (with a long list of others) especially during a race. I couldnt count the number of times I've killed it and hit the e-button and took right back off. On those hairy hills with riders down all over it, it really helps. Ive almost forgot what it was like to kill it sideways on a hill and fight to try to balance and kick start a bike. I hope this can help.

I know i'm gonna rock the boat here, but compared to my 2007 'x' my buddies 2008 KTM450xcw is about a million times better in the woods, the suspension is far more forgiving and compliant compared to my 'x's plank like feel and steering like the front wheel isn't even connected to the bike. The KTM's gearing seems much better suited to the woods and it feels much more compact as well as having the magic button too. The fly in the ointment is my buddies KTM has been in the shop almost as much as its been in the woods, but it is a far better bike for this kind of terrain. Just make sure you know how to maintain it well.