Sign in to follow this  

Replace Piston at 900 miles?

The owner's manual says Piston Replacement is recommended at 900 miles.

The shop manual says the same thing.

Heck, it only recomends changing the oil at 600!

I feel like I barely have it broken in and I have 300 miles. At this rate I'll be replacing the piston by this summer!

Should I replace the piston at 900 miles?

Big Daddy, don't forget the "R" at the end of KLX450r; it stands for racing. If you were racing professionally and whooping the crap out of the machine, then I'd say yes. Those manuals are suggestive of the most severe limits of engine use and have to give these suggestions to protect the machine at race levels. Although I can't comment on when you should change the piston for us "weekend warriors", I'm sure you'll see several 100 more miles before a piston change is needed. I'm sure some of the other guys on here with more experience and miles on their bikes could give you a better idea:thumbsup:

Edited by Rome06379

I'm over 5500miles...replacing valves this week, and I'm the reason for that failure(air filter cleanliness). I even race it moderately a few times a year. The piston and rings I replaced didn't even look worn...if I hadn't already bought the piston kit, I would've left it in there. Taking pics as I go, I'll post the rebuild sometime soon.