Sign in to follow this  

Tech Help - Wont Start.

My DRZ is my daily commuter. I've had zero issues with it since I replaced the battery a couple months ago. It was a cold night, so I had to choke it to start. I rode a couple blocks to the bank, turned it off, hit the ATM, went back to the bike and it wouldn't start. I ended up pushing it down the sidewalk to the garage at work.

When I tried to start the DRZ (with the choke still on) It turned over but wouldnt start. (This has happened before, on very short trips - I just turn the choke off, crank it a few times and it will start.)

This time, after turning the choke off, when I hit the starter button it does nothing - doesnt even try to crank. I checked to make sure the kill switch wasn't on. I have PLENTY of battery power.

When I listen closely, I can hear a relay clicking near the headlight when I press the starter button. I checked the kickstand switch, checked the plug at the clutch, tried to start it in neutral, tried to start it in gear with the clutch in.

Nothing. Doesn't even attempt to crank.

Any suggestions?

This is probably a really silly suggestion but did you try to start it in Neutral WITH the clutch lever pulled?

This is probably a really silly suggestion but did you try to start it in Neutral WITH the clutch lever pulled?

Yes. Not silly, I had a CBR once that sat for 2 days because I accidentally tripped the kill switch.

Check your starter solenoid ,and check cables/connectors to the starter.

Since you hear a clicking suond behind the headlight, it could be the relay beeing defect.

This relay controls the sidestand switch + the blinkers

I bypassed the kick stand sensor as well. Can bump start it with no problem.

Battery is 100% fully charged. What should I check next?

When I hit the starter button, I can hear the relay behind the headlight shroud click, but beyond that, absolutely nothing else happens.

Not sure what the OP solution was but from the relay behind the headlight a wire runs to the starter solenoid at the very back right side of the bike under the seat. A test light connected to the 2 small screws on the solenoid should light when the relay clicks. If it doesn't light take the cowling off around the headlight and check for power on the wire where it leaves the interlock relay. You can ground the test light to the frame or engine.

Power at relay but not solenoid means a broken wire. No power at the relay when it clicks means a bad relay. If the relay won't click then either the relay is bad, wiring is bad, or conditions are not right for starting (stop switch, start button, kickstand, clutch switch, neutral)

EDIT: good point by buddoggin in next post

I didn't go as far as the solenoid or starter being faulty because generally when that happens people say they can hear the click under the seat. If you do have power on the 2 small wires at the solenoid the next thing to check is: connect the ground of the test light to the frame. On the large terminal of the solenoid that goes to the battery should always light the tester. On the other large terminal should light when the solenoid clicks. If it does not light, the solenoid is likely the problem. If you don't mind seeing sparks you can use something thick metal and touch from one large terminal to the other. If it does light when it clicks, or you use metal to jump it, the starter should turn. If not, check the wire from the solenoid to the starter, but since it is fairly large chances are it isn't the problem and the starter is. You can verify by touching the test lamp to the bolt on the starter. If it lights when you press the start button (relay clicks, solenoid clicks) but the starter doesn't turn the problem is inside the starter. There is information here on refurbishing if you search.

Edited by slowriding