Sign in to follow this  

I really screwed this up....Is there a fix??

Damn!

I hate to say it, but I fear that the cost to have a repair attempted may be more than the cost of a replacement.

The liner will have to be pressed out, crack beveled down from both sides to get solid penetration and welded carefully, rebored, new sleeve, and HOPEFULLY it holds together after being heated, cooled, splashed with water, mud etc many times... Also hopefully the guy welding it knows what he's doing, gets solid penetration, no porosity, doesn't fatigue the cylinder, etc.....I'm just taking a guess here, but I'd say it's not likely worth the effort/cost to try a repair v.s. replacement cost of a new big bore cylinder.

I could be wrong on the repair sequence too being I've never had that problem. They used to pay me the big bucks to weld though so I've got a tiny bit of knowledge about it in a specific area, just not specifically THIS area.

Would the manufacturer cover it under a "warranty" issue with some cautious word selection? I'm not suggesting you lie to anyone, but perhaps the mfg may feel that the cylinder was defective if you knew what the torque was on that bolt before it cracked.

You have to follow your own conscience and moral/ethical compass, but I had a local big name parts store kick me a $300 starter after I burned a hole in the solenoid cause I F-ed up too and didn't disconnect the batteries. I'd changed starters without doing that basic step in the past and this one time it caught up with me cause I was in a hurry. My own dang fault. I admitted fault and they warrantied it for me. It might be that the Manager and half the employees know me by name too though....

You could give a head shop a call, the guys that rebuild cylinder heads and often handle issues with blocks, not your local bong supply warehouse.... They may be able to give you a better idea.

what did you do ~ exactly

Over torqued....

Over torqued....

Looks like you need to re-tension your arm :thumbsup:

I would tell them you torqued it correctly and it cracked, its a bit sneaky but your best bet.

Id be hesitant about a fix, imagine the pressure on that single area even when it is 'fixed', it would be immense!

Looks like you need to re-tension your arm :thumbsup:

I would tell them you torqued it correctly and it cracked, its a bit sneaky but your best bet.

Id be hesitant about a fix, imagine the pressure on that single area even when it is 'fixed', it would be immense!

yep i would say you did it to correct torque,there is a high chance it was faulty anyway shouldnt crack like that bolt or thread should strip first.

yep i would say you did it to correct torque,there is a high chance it was faulty anyway shouldnt crack like that bolt or thread should strip first.

I agree. + what do you have to loose now?

i would contact the big bore co. and tell them that you torqued it to speck and it cracked. i wouldnt be suprised if they will help you out bec the product may be faulty

ya thats really not a place to try and fix, to close to the bolt hole which will probably end up warping due to heat. best chance is like they said before, tell the company you put it on properly and it cracked. hopefully they dont peruse this forum and see this thread.

That sucks man. I've done similar things myself. I was rebuilding a motor once and looked at the wrong chart for the torque specs for the intake. I thought I was looking at the intake specs but I was really looking at the head bolt specs. Needless to say, head bolts take a little more torque than intake bolts...and the result was not pretty.

But, don't listen to these bozo's.

It's called R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

Lieing about it in an attempt to rip off the MFG is lame.

i would contact the big bore co. and tell them that you torqued it to speck and it cracked. i wouldnt be suprised if they will help you out bec the product may be faulty
ya thats really not a place to try and fix, to close to the bolt hole which will probably end up warping due to heat. best chance is like they said before, tell the company you put it on properly and it cracked. hopefully they dont peruse this forum and see this thread.

Call the company and tell them what happened. The whole truth. Let them decide if they will cover it under warranty. If not they might be willing to give you another one at cost.

Owning up is the right thing to do. :thumbsup:

i've gotta own this one. i'm gonna try and call the company tomorrow and get a replacement.

thanks all. my wallet is bumbed just thinking about it.

what did you do ~ exactly

My guess is the head was stuck on the dowel pin and he hoped tightening the head would pull it down.

Trust your inner torque wrench. Yours is a bit off. :thumbsup:

Just use some JB weld! I mean its only a cylinder... what could go wrong? I heard that stuffs strong too! haha. jk

I would go ahead and call them like others have said and see what they say. Don't lie... that's dumb and immoral!

wow, first page is full of a bunch of sneaks and liars. OP, sounds like you're going to own up to it which is the right thing to do. consider it an expensive lesson learned. the answers on the first page are why we have so many frivolous lawsuits in this county, noone will take responsibility for their actions.

i've gotta own this one. i'm gonna try and call the company tomorrow and get a replacement.

thanks all. my wallet is bumbed just thinking about it.

Good call. Honesty goes a long way and won't come back to bite you in the ass.