Sign in to follow this  

California SD area

So i'm going down to visit my brother this weekend, and naturally, i'm bringing the bike.

the main purpose of this visit is to participate in a shooting compeition, but after that, we're looking for a place relatively close where we can shoot a rifle, and ride off on a whim, naturally without getting in trouble.

looking at hopefully a max of a 2 hour drive, but we'll take into consideration anywhere.

thanks for whatever opinions you can provide.

What comp. are you shooting in? I'm assuming its a long range comp at the base?

Shooting is my second hobby.... it would be really cool to hook up with the guys on here that do both.

Are you a Calguns member? Sorry to go off topic a bit.

Not sure if this applies to the areas by SD, but one problem is that rifles and riding tend not to mix. Now just plain BLM land works, but most any area designated for riding tends to have shooting restrictions. Just make sure to check the status of the land is all I'm saying.

• Like 1

Painted gorge. 8 east to ocotillo/Imperial Hwy exit (1.5hrs max). Go under bridge (left) and make first right on the S2. Take S2 for approx 5 miles to Painted gorge rd.(turn left) Take that in about 6 miles and you'll have a killer place to shoot and ride. You won't get hassled, the deal is you must post pics afterwards.

Edited by fud

What comp. are you shooting in? I'm assuming its a long range comp at the base?

Shooting is my second hobby.... it would be really cool to hook up with the guys on here that do both.

Are you a Calguns member? Sorry to go off topic a bit.

i am not a calguns member, although my brother is

it is a combat shoot at the escondido fish & games.

10 bucks to participate, a pistol shoot.

we'll be doing the rifles later that day on our own time.

i'll shoot you a PM as to the general time frame we'll be looking to do what were doing.

Painted gorge. 8 east to ocotillo/Imperial Hwy exit (1.5hrs max). Go under bridge (left) and make first right on the S2. Take S2 for approx 5 miles to Painted gorge rd.(turn left) Take that in about 6 miles and you'll have a killer place to shoot and ride. You won't get hassled, the deal is you must post pics afterwards.

we'll look into it, thank you very much.

now time to go find a camera :thumbsup:

Sounds like a blast... I'll look into it for sure. I got your PM and will let you know whats up after i talk to the boss :thumbsup:.

I've thought about getting into pistol matches... it would give me a reason to fire up the ammo press again.

sounds good rick, change of plans though, as the BLM office claims painted gorge is closed until june 30, looks like we'll be heading out to plaster city, maybe superstition.

sounds good rick, change of plans though, as the BLM office claims painted gorge is closed until june 30, looks like we'll be heading out to plaster city, maybe superstition.

Off the old access road into Superstition (not wheeler rd. but the access road off of Imler/Huff), there's plenty of places to shoot... and call 'camp' to ride from. As a kid, we did it for years. And as of late, still no problems as long as you find yourself a good backstop (like a wash wall, or ?)

Want a perfect local for this via GPS? ... I can send it over via PM, or maybe I'll GoogleEarth it now. It's no secret, but a great spot to camp and shoot.

...center of map, in this link (perfect camp spot, and with a wash behind the camp to shoot about 200' or more down the wash);

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=32.929656,-115.757795&spn=0.002913,0.004152&t=h&z=18

I too love to shoot, own a couple handguns and am a hunter (shotguns). We'll be out there doing some clay pigeon killing soon (next couple weekends - probably 3/13) ... and riding. :thumbsup::ride:

The actual Painted gorge canyon trial/wash is a seperate inlet that heads up into the mtn. yes that is closed but the area surrounding it is not. Trust me I was there 2 weeks ago. Don't get Painted Gorge wash mixed up with the "Painted Gorge" area. Two seperate animals. Its fine to ride and shoot there but when you get to the "Painted gorge wash trail head" it will have a closed off gate this time of year due to "eco-extremism".

Yeah but if you want to drive another half hr out to superstitions that works too. You'll get more diverse riding there with mudhills and sand dunes. Grew up riding and racing out there.

Edited by fud