Sign in to follow this  

Washington wr450f steet lega; help!!!

i have wanted to get my 2008 wr450f street legal since i got it new, i only live a mile from where i ride and its a pain to load up, to go that far, so half the time i would just ride, its not on any major roads just threw 2 naborhoods, but i have horible luck and a cop that was coming home decided to mess up my day, i got a 170$ ticket for riding on the road, and i have the money now to spend on getting the bike street legal, i have been told that you can, and cant, make a wr street legal, so i was hoping someone could give me a link to where i can read what i need to do or why i cant do it. i have spent the last 2 days getting headakes from the dol, dov, and washington state dot.

i have had the idea of finding a newer wr250 or 450 that is street legal from factory that has been totaled and buying it and swaping the plates over to mine along with the plate

i also have thought of going threw an other state to make it legal, ether oregon or AZ, i have family there that have an adress i could use.

so someone plz help me out!

it does have the "off road only" thing on it, but i know of people that have gotten around that, and that was since the change in 2006(my dad had a ttr250 and went to get it inspected 2 days after they changed the law in washington)

Gift it to your out of state family, then I'm sure they will be generous enough to let you borrow it for as long as you like...

Gift it to your out of state family, then I'm sure they will be generous enough to let you borrow it for as long as you like...

That is about the only solution IF you have it (not a factory dual sport) registered in WA as an ORV now. Once you license it as a ORV in WA - YOU ARE DONE, DO NOT PASS GO. :thumbsup:

BTW, Vermont doesn't work either. (tried to get an XR650R done that way :ride:). In fact, having the AZ plates is prolly better than getting a WA plate because the WA plate can be revoked if said officer decides to mess with you further.

So nice of your kin folk to let you borrow something long-term. I would HIGHLY suggest that you ride like a grandma and VARY your route each time to your riding area or else the LEO with an axe to grind will find your pattern and bust you down again.

The problem with AZ is they have to physically inspect the bike before issuing a title/plates. I was going to do that so I didn't have to mess with Oregon but by the time I haul it down there and back it got to be to much work. Maybe a riding trip is in order.

I would also carry a notarized document from the fam in AZ or ID stating they let you borrow it for testing purposes along with a phone number. If the LEO finds your pattern though he's gonna :thumbsup: you still.

Idaho will license almost anything, including quads. FYI :thumbsup:

True, but once it has been licensed as a ORV in WA, than you go out of state for a license, you cant bring it back and get plates, the WA DOL keeps those old VIN's in the system, trust me I know. Plated a bike in ID, a year later went to get WA plates and it came back as a ORV:foul:, no go:banghead:

That is about the only solution IF you have it (not a factory dual sport) registered in WA as an ORV now. Once you license it as a ORV in WA - YOU ARE DONE, DO NOT PASS GO. :thumbsup:

Not true. My brother in law got his WR 450 plated after previously being WA state registered ORV. I got my YZ plated as well. You guys know the trick, I'll enlighten the OP via PM.

Not true. My brother in law got his WR 450 plated after previously being WA state registered ORV. I got my YZ plated as well. You guys know the trick, I'll enlighten the OP via PM.

yeah, tj sent me the info and i checked up on it and its legit, thanks man. most people would just keep the info to themself:thumbsup:

Thanks for filling him in. I got mine a different way but glad there:s another way now.

Hmmmmm.... someone PM me and enlighten me please as I only know of one way :thumbsup:

I have a plated 2006 yz250f that I will sell you ...:thumbsup: