Sign in to follow this  

Would i be faster on a yz250 or yz250f?

Hay guys!!!

Im looking around for a new bike, but im probaly going used. But anyway i was trying to deicide whether to look at a yz250 or a yz250f. But my friend says that they are both realiable. But i hav recently come off a ttr125 but i have ridden both of these bikes. I do alot of tight wooods, trail riding, tracks( im not a racer) But i pretty much a like to do everything, but for a being a pretty much ( beginner) would you go with the 250 or 250 2 stroke. Do you think the powerband on the 250 2 stroke would sort of beat me up? Im so used to theat power of the 4 strokes but i love the power they have out of the turns but what do you guys think?

Either bike is a big step forward in power. 4 strokes are more engine maint. Make better torque, but a 2 stroke can teach you some helpful riding lessons.

if you go yz 250f, be prepared for some regular maintenace

a ttr 225 to a 250f is no big jump in power

i went from a ttr90 to a yz 250f

if you like youre ttr 225 power out of turns a 250 2 stroke will explode out of corners and have more foot pounds of torque than the 225

if you rode a yz 250 2 stroke i would get it because

cheaper mainteanace

faster

less risky second hand buy

more around for cheap

im 15 years old and i weigh about 175lbs. And i have a about 3 years of riding experience. but if i would ghet a 250 2 stroke, then why not a 450? Would that be an ok bike or would the 250 2 stroke be better for tight woods, hill climbs, traxk and pretty much everything else.

But i hav ridden a 450 and its awesome! But idk if i can ride it like verywhere, but some things my buddy told me thats bad about a 2 stroke, and i wouldnt mind someone who races 2 strokes to clarify if these are true or not.

1) I would go through cylinders, and a lot of pistons and rings.

2) Hard wear on sprockets

3) Not good powerwise around corners

4) a little harder in woods, with all that power and stuff like that.

But idk if i could handle a 450? Especialy in tight woods and stuff like that.

what do you guys think?

The YZ250 2sTk has a ton of rippin power. Put on a Rekluse clutch and 18 inch rear tire you will have a super woods bike. The 450 is heavier and lot more maintenance.

Since I own both a 250 2 stroke and a big bore 4 stroke I will give you my personal opinion and try to answer your ?s

1. with the coatings on the cylinders as long as you do proper maintenance with pistons and rings you most likely will never go through a cylinder. As for pistons I believe the recommended service intervals are close on both my bikes.

2. My 426 chews up sprockets faster than my 250

3. If you know how to work a clutch this isnt a problem

4. I actually prefer my 250 2 stroke in the woods

If I am riding woods that are tighter I take the 250 if I know there will be some more open terrain I take the 426. They are both great bikes but this is just my personal preference and opinion.

im 15 years old and i weigh about 175lbs. And i have a about 3 years of riding experience. but if i would ghet a 250 2 stroke, then why not a 450? Would that be an ok bike or would the 250 2 stroke be better for tight woods, hill climbs, traxk and pretty much everything else.

But i hav ridden a 450 and its awesome! But idk if i can ride it like verywhere, but some things my buddy told me thats bad about a 2 stroke, and i wouldnt mind someone who races 2 strokes to clarify if these are true or not.

1) I would go through cylinders, and a lot of pistons and rings.

2) Hard wear on sprockets

3) Not good powerwise around corners

4) a little harder in woods, with all that power and stuff like that.

But idk if i could handle a 450? Especialy in tight woods and stuff like that.

what do you guys think?

I race offroad, I just recently sold a 250f and I'm very glad it's gone.

1.) You will not going to cylinders on a 2t unless you are using piston's till they explode. A YZ250 will go 100 hours on a piston no problem.

2.) Not true, a 450 will eat them in comparison.

3.) A two stroke will turn much better then most 4t's, use the clutch to control power delivery.

4.) Two strokes are in general better in tight woods because they are much more nimble.

At 15 I would want a bike that is fun to ride and doesn't require a lot of up keep($) and that's why I'd suggest the YZ. A KTM 150 or 200 would fit your needs well also.

Ok man. But how would the bike perform comapred to a 250f. Like i rode my buddy's yz250f a lot and its such a fun bike. I just like you can just ahmmer it and its like instant throttle response. And it has a lot of power too. But no affence but how come you sold your 250f? Was there anything wrong with it? Whats the main maintence the the most expensive on the 4 strokes? im just not sure at all. Do you think a 450 would over welm me while in the woods or anywhere?

Ok man cool. But my firend also says you have uuse the clutch a lot in the woods, and he said because of how much you will use it, and you will wear out the clutch plates fast. I just dont know man. What was your 250f good at. Which one turned better and when you hammer it out of the turns and you get out of the turn in like an instant. Which one was the best?

You hafta understand something here. YZ250Fs are VERY reliable machines and do not really require anymore maintenance than a 250 smoker. The valves tend to stay in spec commonly up to 300 hours if you aren't on the rev limiter and keep the oil and air clean.

You will have a ton of fun on a YZ250F. The other 205Fs IMO are not proven designs and have been known to fail. Considering this, you can buy a lower hour YZ250F with confidence compared to the other machines out there. A 250 smoker or 450F should not be considered at this stage for you.

shrubitup has a good point here.

but if you are concerned about weight, and money. you could buy a 250 2t and buy an auto-clutch.. either EMF or Rekluse makes great ones. Then you just pin it and go!

If you really like the feel of the 4-t powerband and smoothness. i'd get it.

i bought a KX250 (2t) and i really love it.. even though i can't get enough of it, i really wish i had saved up a bit more, and tried riding both 2 and 4t's and tried different bikes.

I rode my buddies WR250F (modded) and i really loved it, and missed the 4t feeling.. however, i like how light and quick my bike is,,

For you (IMO) the 450 is out of the question..

look for a 200(EXC/XC-W/XC)

or if you like the 4t's

WR250F has lots of free mods aswell as cheap mods that will set you in the right direction,

The 2t-4t fight will never end.

you gotta try both.

And be SURE of your choice!

To answer the thread question..

the only way you will know what you're faster on is to try them both on one day, and get at least an hour total seat time on each.

hope i helped :thumbsup:

but if you are concerned about weight, and money. you could buy a 250 2t and buy an auto-clutch.. either EMF or Rekluse makes great ones. Then you just pin it and go!

Eh, the 2009 YZ250F vs. the 2009 YZ250.... the 250F is three pounds lighter and that's ready to ride weight. Newer smokers with an auto clutch are quite nice in the woods. I still have mine. :thumbsup: However, they're not really that much cheaper actually.

Yeah, but i meant for maintenance cheaper,

all depends how you ride them,

Are they really lighter??

wowee breakthrough in 4t terchnology!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, but i meant for maintenance cheaper,

all depends how you ride them,

Are they really lighter??

wowee breakthrough in 4t terchnology!!! :thumbsup:

Yes, go to the Yamaha website and see for yourself regarding the weight. The YZ250 is frozen in time. Last updated in 2006. Meanwhile the 250F has lost weight and focused on improved handling. I'm a smoker guy too but have opened my eyes to YZ-Fs. They're great bikes. Maintenance wise they're not really much different than the two stroke. Clean oil and air is required and again, the valve train is ultra durable if you're a woods rider or even a MXer that stays off the rev limiter.

When's the last time you heard of a guy who maintained his bike but still had his YZ-F blow up?

yeah thats true

a 2 stroke wont go through cylinders and believe me putting a new piston in a yz 250 2 stroke is a easy task with a manual

there seems to be more 250 2 strokes for sale for less if ou loved the power of a 450 a 250 2 stroke is not far off

i've found since race 4 strokes like yzfs dont have a rad fan they tend to overheat easily in low airflow situations like 1st gear for long amounts of time

if you reduce the gearing on a 250 2s you should have no trouble in the woods and tight tracks

look and all the real tough enduro events and there is more 2 strokes than 4's

yeah thats true

a 2 stroke wont go through cylinders and believe me putting a new piston in a yz 250 2 stroke is a easy task with a manual

there seems to be more 250 2 strokes for sale for less if ou loved the power of a 450 a 250 2 stroke is not far off

i've found since race 4 strokes like yzfs dont have a rad fan they tend to overheat easily in low airflow situations like 1st gear for long amounts of time

if you reduce the gearing on a 250 2s you should have no trouble in the woods and tight tracks

look and all the real tough enduro events and there is more 2 strokes than 4's

Does that make the YZ-F a bad bike? The fact that there's more 2T at enduros than 4T? Engine Ice and richer jetting helps to cool off a YZ-F in these low speed low airflow situations. That and turning the motor off when waiting for others on the trail. They're not hard to light up again even with a kickstarter provided your jetting is dialed and the valves are in spec. Wait, YZ-F valves don't move.

Can't believe I'm here defending the YZ-F. I used to bash all four strokes too. :thumbsup:

I have both yz250 and 250f. I race both in hare scrambles. I started racing the 250f and moved up to the 2t last fall. The fall the first race of the season I had to ride the 250f because I damaged the fork on my 2t. My conclusion is that the 250f is easier to ride, it just seems more flexible and a little more forgiving. The down side is the fact that the 2t absolutely destroys the 250f in the power dept. I am faster on the 2t in these races because there are places where the extra power can be used.

I wont steer you away form either bike. They are both great. I bet you would enjoy the 250f more since you have been riding a 4t and a 250f will have tripple the power of the ttr.

A yammi 250f has a great motor and they last a long time, take your time and make sure you find a bike that hasnt been abused. The power is all on the top end on the 250f and if the bike was a track rat living on the rev limiter no motor will last long in those conditions. Find a trail ridden 250f.

So rcdude, you refuse to take advice from other people on the other 20 threads (not kidding here, there is literally 20 threads asking the same basic question from this same kid) and you troll around here asking the same questions. A 450f would probably be a smidge too much bike, a 250f or 125 would be more suitable. Ride both and make your decision from there. All the said bikes will last a long time if maintained and setup properly. Post another thread about asking which bike you should get and I will be in contact with moderators. At the very least just read your old threads. Here's what a quick search showed: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=10213739 Notice all the threads are started by rcdude.......