Twin throttle cables; your vote

I haven't worked out yet why some bikes have twin throttle cables or if there is a pattern as to what bikes have them and what bikes have singles.

So;

Your vote;

Twin or single and why.

I think i would go with single = less weight and less to go wrong.

Lazi man is on it for the most part.

2nd cable is a safety measure. A 4S idle vacuum is very strong. So the added return of the 2nd cable is there.

Sure, a single cable is lighter but just skip a burrito instead. Less to go wrong, assuming the throttle does not stick, then much more to possibly go wrong. Sure, you most likely have a kill button but that takes 1/2 second to realize and press. 1/2 second is a long time in mid air.

I have not had a throttle cable issue since I was nine. If I can run a return cable, I do. Proper maintenance is not a big deal.

Can't be a DOT requirement, none of my street only bikes have a twin cable.

My vote if I were a manufacturer, twin cables, you get twice the profits out of the same repair.

My vote if I were not a manufacturer (which I'm not), single cable with a strong return spring, easier to R&R and cheaper as you typically do not buy new return springs.

I can deal with the extra weight of two cables over having a crash,i have known it to happen to many times to take the risk of it sticking.(The owner of our bike shop hit a tree,i think he was on a yz 490,and the other guy at the shop had it happen and took a face plant into the pavement) So i say two cables.

Come to think of it:

All my dirt/dual sport machines with a butterfly carb have dual cables, all the slides have a single. The street-only machines with butterfly carbs are single.

Are butterfly carbs more prone to sticking in a dirt environment?

Come to think of it:

All my dirt/dual sport machines with a butterfly carb have dual cables, all the slides have a single. The street-only machines with butterfly carbs are single.

Are butterfly carbs more prone to sticking in a dirt environment?

i think thats just a fluke (i didnt know they still used butterlies on bikes) all of ours are dual cable slides except the 2t