Sign in to follow this  

replacing springs front/rear XR650R

Hey all! i've heard that the best money spent on the BRP is setting up the suspension right, so i'm gonna do it. I'm 6'4 205lbs so i'm gonna go with the eibach .45kg springs up front and the 10.5kg spring in the rear according to borynack suspension chart those springs are rated for 220lbs so with gear and a little mud i'll be alright. I'm not going to do any re-valving or any of that, just a fork swap. I do know that i'll need the 14mm welded bolt/nut combo for the front, but is there anything else that i may need other than the general metric tools?

Any other suggestions or advice is certainly welcome!

what is the scoop on the "Progressive Suspension?" it compresses at different rates as it is compressed? is this something to look into as well other than the eibach?

TIA!

and where's the best/lowest price to find suspension products?

Did you find any info on the XRR suspension?

You do not need the welded nut thing to replace the front springs. Both front and rear can be swapped with standard stuff.

Progressive suspension springs are linear, they do not ramp up. (I'm pretty sure on this but could be wrong) I used eibach since they had a greater variety of rates.

You do not need the welded nut thing to replace the front springs. Both front and rear can be swapped with standard stuff.

Progressive suspension springs are linear, they do not ramp up. (I'm pretty sure on this but could be wrong) I used eibach since they had a greater variety of rates.

the makeshift welded nut and bolt is for the 14mm allen bolt on the bottom of the front tubes. yeah i've since decided that i'm going to go with eibach when i do the swap.

I'll be doing the same thing as soon as my springs show up. I'm 6'4 as well, only I'm a little more stout than you. I went with .49 front and 12.0 rear. Anyone have any input on what type of oil to use in the forks with the stock valving for my size? 285lbs dressed out.

I'll be doing the same thing as soon as my springs show up. I'm 6'4 as well, only I'm a little more stout than you. I went with .49 front and 12.0 rear. Anyone have any input on what type of oil to use in the forks with the stock valving for my size? 285lbs dressed out.

i was just going to use some good ol' ATF fluid. maybe go buy the cheap stuff to flush the forks out with, then pour in some better stuff for the end product and call it good. do you know how in-depth it is to do the rear?

and where's the best/lowest price to find suspension products?

Diverse Suspension . com............Cheap prices.

Diverse Suspension . com............Cheap prices.

Thanks. if only they had suspension for XRs!