4x4 a Must??

Today after going mudding, my friends 99 tacoma 2wd with a v4 and manual could go everywhere my 01 Ram lifted, and 4wd could go. Of course he had to maintain a ton of speed while I could just slowly run through everything (even staying in 2wd). So I guess the point is 2wd could work, but having the 4wd is really a security for me. Its nice to know that just in case some thing happens, you can put it in 4wd.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today after going mudding, my friends 99 tacoma 2wd with a v4 and manual could go everywhere my 01 Ram lifted, and 4wd could go. Of course he had to maintain a ton of speed while I could just slowly run through everything (even staying in 2wd). So I guess the point is 2wd could work, but having the 4wd is really a security for me. Its nice to know that just in case some thing happens, you can put it in 4wd.

I didn't know Tacomas ever had a V4

99% of the time I don't need the 4x4, but on those few occasions of off-roading where I do need it, its down right handy to have. I got it for the security and looks (Dakota's had more lift and bigger tires with 4x4 vs 2wd) and as efficient as the drive train is in trucks these days are, a 4x4 won't take much of a hit in fuel mileage compared to a 2wd of the same thing.

My brother experienced something simple just a few weeks ago with the bed full and a travel trailer behind. Just a simple turnabout on some slippery mud that made the rear tires dig in with our old beater diesel. He switched into 4x4 low and carried on :banana:

And we don't even do hardcore stuff, maybe some icky stuff on fireroads, etc. when dirtbiking.

And also depending on what you are doing with your truck empty you could also have issues just getting around on steep paved driveways where you will peel out.

Unless you are a road warrior that could use a bed, can't see a reason not to have 4x4 just in case you end up needing it one day.

4WDs are for people who don't have dirt bikes. :banana: Unless your work requires off-road use of your truck (agriculture construction mining logging etc.), or you need to fetch a boat on a slippery ramp, or you don't know how to drive on a plowed mountain pass with a little weight in the back - why do you need 4WD? Sure, it's nice to use if you get stuck but automobiles are for roads (of variable quality) IMO. Dirt bikes are for off-road.

4WDs are for people who don't have dirt bikes. :banana: Unless your work requires it (construction mining logging etc.), or you need to fetch a boat on a slippery ramp, or you don't know how to drive on a plowed mountain pass with a little weight in the back - why do you need 4WD? Sure, it's nice to use if you get stuck but automobiles are for roads (of variable quality) IMO. Dirt bikes are for off-road.

I just don't like to be confined to where other people have decided to build a road. This is an age long debate...in the end its the drivers preference. As for me..I prefer to be able to go where I want when I want than have it dictated by others.

People say just keep your momentum which works.. but what about when you want to stop? My 2wd Escape is fine until I want to stop. But my AWD Grand Cherokee will go everywhere stop or go.

Excatly...4x4ing is a little different than offroading...like comparing a desert race to a rock crawl event...and with 2wd...sooner or later you're going to have to or want to slow down or stop then you're screwed.........it ALL depends on what your intended use is going to be. :banana:

I think your use of the vehicle and the area of the country should determine whether 4x4 is a must.

My F350 is a 4x4. I would not have it any other way. However, I use it to haul my dirtbikes, Tow my Camper, and my Jeep all over the place in all kinds of weather and conditions on roads that are not maintained and not necessarily paved.

If I were hauling my dirtbike from park to park where most of the roads are paved and the snow was less than a 6 inches deep, 2 wheel drive would be fine (a lot easier to load bikes when lower to the ground too).

621259955_3qYRz-M.jpg

Edit - Here is a pic of my other toy in a place that 'requires' four wheel drive

I think your use of the vehicle and the area of the country should determine whether 4x4 is a must.

My F350 is a 4x4. I would not have it any other way. However, I use it to haul my dirtbikes, Tow my Camper, and my Jeep all over the place in all kinds of weather and conditions on roads that are not maintained and not necessarily paved.

If I were hauling my dirtbike from park to park where most of the roads are paved and the snow was less than a 6 inches deep, 2 wheel drive would be fine (a lot easier to load bikes when lower to the ground too).

621259955_3qYRz-M.jpg

Edit - Here is a pic of my other toy in a place that 'requires' four wheel drive

My one wheel drive motorcycle doesn't need it to go through there. ?

Like someone else mentioned earlier. 4wd is a reason to get yourself into trouble more that anything else. haha I have always had 2wd and gotten stock on wet grass on one occasion. (hey got to own up to it? ) but I still don't see the NEED to have a 4x4 as a daily driver. Doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't....just don't see the need for 95% of the population (chickenHaulers wife falls into the other 5% lol)

Don't try to avoid the "Hey look at me!" desire that gets stroked when you own a 4x4. I proudly carry chains and drive by (slowly) the 4x4 drivers in the ditch on the mountain passes all the time....now THAT is manly. ?

Edited by RhinofromWA

I hardly use my 4wd until I go hunting. I tend to find the big holes in the road with my trailer on back. I drove a 2wd diesel for awhile, great on roads w/o snow. Bad in mud and really deep snow. I carry all the stuff to get unstuck, but still go 4wd. It is really dependant on where you are going to drive. And if I see people stuck in the snow I pull over and help them, even if they are in a jacked up 4wd. Take that back, I help most people. One guy chewed out a cop and flipped him off for closing a road (too snowy), then he drove off the road. I drove by. And another time on I 90 just e/o ellensburg there where a few people off the road, but the tow trucks were running around and it was all W siders who cant drive in the snow. They all passed me before they hit the ditch. I had the kids and prego wife with me, not the time to yank a bunch of DA westsiders out the snow bank. But, I do help people out on my side of the cascades ?