Sign in to follow this  

cams and cam chains

hi i have decided to keep my 01 yz 250f and decided its about time to change the cam chain and put in a hot cam

can i just simply take out old cam and put in hot cam end of story and have auto decomp

and what do tools do i need to change the cam chain

i've so far heard a flywheel puller, are they expensive

will the new cam chain and the oem intake cam go fine with a hotcam exhaust cam

It's all bolt-in, basically, yes but.... You will need a flywheel puller for your year, $20-25 new. If it's never been changed, for $17.00 a new cam chain is good insurance. You will need a Torx T27 bit to get the stator plate off the block with. Might also make friends with a local mechanic who has access to shims since the new cam will need that done too. 8mm socket is good to have.

yeah i have all the tools like sockets and torque wreches

whats a torx T27 bit and is it essentaily and expensive

Dont forget you will need to plug the hole where the old compression release mechanism used to enter the side of the head.

Edited by Charlie755

can i just leave the old mechanism in

i cant find any pictures of plugs anywhere

does anyone have any pics of one

When you pull the flywheel be careful of the threads on the end of the crank. I screwed mine up when I did it and had to file them. I have heard that keeping the nut on the end will help alot.

Charlie, the hot start and the compression release are two different mechanisms !!!????

We left it all hooked up on my son's 02 bike, you don't have to remove and plug the mechanism in the head.

Charlie, the hot start and the compression release are two different mechanisms !!!????

We left it all hooked up on my son's 02 bike, you don't have to remove and plug the mechanism in the head.

Fixed. Dur on my part:bonk:

can i just leave the old mechanism in

i cant find any pictures of plugs anywhere

does anyone have any pics of one

Do a search on ebay for "Yamaha Head Plug" They are around $10

I do not know if you have pulled your cams before, but you will need a 1/4 torque wrench to put your cam caps back on. Do not over torque them. 7.2 foot pounds

i have a 1/4 inch torque wrench, i have heard of people saying 7.0ft pounds in stead of 7.2 ft pounds to be on the safe side, is that right