Sign in to follow this  

Starting issues for a YZ125..

Hello everyone, I have a 06' YZ125, never ever had a problem with the bike, its basically mint, I do know a lot about engines and how to fix them, so I know a little about what I'm talking about, for some reason it stopped starting, obviously I assumed the plug was fouled, which in turn it was when I changed it out, I went from running a NGK BR8EG to an NGK BR8ES and I do understand that I can run it in the bike. Today I tried starting it up and it just doesn't wanna kick over, it will start if I pop start it but wont stay running for long, I think it could maybe possibly be a fuel issue, but I don't understand how it could be, the bike does not have a huge amount of hours on it, and is very well taken care of. Any ideas/suggestions?

Have you checked the compression on the bike? Even if the bike is well taken care of, it is possible to have a ring stick in the groove on the piston which causes a loss of compression and hence the bike won't start. If you have a compression gauge handy I would check that quick as it only takes about 5 minutes.

It feels from the kick start like it has the same compression that it always had, it doesn't feel like I have lost any, BUT as soon as I can when I go to the garage next I will run a compression check.

Granted you said you know the motors fairly well and dont mean to insult you but have you took a look at the carb? Float sticking, clogged jet or choke circuit? Also might want to check the needle clip, had the same problem two years ago and after looking in the carb about 6 times I finally comletely dissasembled and found my clip fell off!

Yeah, a friend of mine and me were just discussing how we think it could also be a fuel issue, I haven't gotten around to checking the carb and all that right at the moment, I'm waiting for a power washer so I can get it cleaned before I screw around with all that, it very well could be, and I wont be too surprised if there is a little build up in there.

That would be my first assumption (carb), while your in there or even before you tear your carb apart Id check the reed petals. The first sign of worn, warped, chipped or cracked petals is difficulty starting the bike! Even though theres not alot of hours on it those things are somewhat fragile and can crack for no apparent reason!

Good Luck and keep us posted!:thumbsup:

Before I farted around with the carb, I pushed it up a small hill for shits and giggles, pop started it with the choke on, let it run for a few seconds and once it had fuel running though it, turned the choke off and bike starts first kick every time just the way it always has. :thumbsup: Thanks for the help guys.