Sign in to follow this  

Got my first bike, 1985 DR125! need help!

Okay so the other day i went out and bought a 1985 suzuki DR125. It in pretty good shape. A couple of things are messed up and ghetto rigged but im looking for parts to replace them. First on my list is a new Kick Start, then a Choke lever, and a new ignition and eventually new plastics..

Where can i find these parts or compatible parts

1)Kick Start

2)choke lever

3) Ignition

4) plastics

please help... i have been searching the net with no luck! and ebay had jack..

the DR section will offer you more help....but, you will have better luck finding the parts you need at a dealership.

I was in a similar situation and got everything I needed off ebay.

Kick-starter: any of the DR/SP/DR-Z 125 starters will work. Might look a little out of place though.

Choke lever: I think the above holds true, at least for the DR-Z/DR, I don't remember what the SP carb looked like.

Ignition: you probably want to stick with the DR/SP as the DR-Z was not wound with a lighting coil. As long as you get everything from the same model/year, you'll be golden - the cases are the same and so is the crank bits. But you probably want to find out what's not working and replace only that part, it will be much easier and cheaper.

Plastics: DR125 from the same year is the way to go, unfortunately. I know for a fact that there's differences between 1983 and 1987, I'm not sure where the cut off is though. I want to say 1986+ interchanges and 1985 and under interchanges, but I can't with 100% certainty. If you're determined or creative, I'm sure you can get it to work, but it's not a perfect bolt on solution.

Oh, and I disagree, the DR section was 0 help for my DR125 the focus seems to be on the big bore modern DRs not the vintage small bor, this section was loads of help. Another place to look for help is in the Vintage section.

So i called a local dealer and i asked them about the parts.... Choke lever- 13, Kick start- 65... So i talked to my friend, he took a look and he fixed the kick start. So he also recomended getting a couple of little parts for it.. so i went to bikebandit and ordered these..

LEVER 1 $11.48

PLUG DRAIN 1 $2.90

CARBURETOR O RI 1 $2.61

EBC Sintered R Grooved Brake Shoes 1 $17.95

Galfer Semi-Metallic Carbon Brake Pads 1 $23.38

Pretty good prices..

as far as the ignition.. i went to ebay and looked for one, the only thing i found was on ebay uk, so i emailed him and he said he would ship to the USA, but i should verify that this would work on my bike..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ignition-Switch-Suzuki-DR125-82-02-NEW_W0QQitemZ140282865938QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item20a982a912#ht_500wt_892

reply retracted the ad is gone.

Edited by Smacaroni

I thought I saw a parts bike in our (PA/NJ) area, but I can't find it so it must be gone.

any one have input on that ignition...? it going to come out to about 50 bucks... id rather get it from the states

I'm a bit curious with what I'm finding here. So far as I can figure there was no DR125 in 1985 they came back out in 1986 and that 1986 model did not have an ignition switch?????????

I'm wondering if what you have is a 1986 SP125 ? What color is it or can you post a photo or the first part of the VIN #

If it's a 1986 SP125 this should be the part # for the switch and it's common to the 1986-1988 SP125 & SP200

37110-13A01

I'm a bit curious with what I'm finding here. So far as I can figure there was no DR125 in 1985 they came back out in 1986 and that 1986 model did not have an ignition switch?????????

I'm wondering if what you have is a 1986 SP125 ? What color is it or can you post a photo or the first part of the VIN #

If it's a 1986 SP125 this should be the part # for the switch and it's common to the 1986-1988 SP125 & SP200

37110-13A01

Quite sorry, you are correct its not a DR its a SP

Get the DR-Z125 manual from BeamishNZ and supplement it with the GN125 (pm me if you can't find it in google) for things like carb specs.

Are either the DR-z125 or the GN125 year spec?

I pmed BeamishNZ asking for the manual that would be compatible with my SP125.. hopefully they respond. And as far as the GN125 manual i found ones that are 92-97 and 97-02.

And im only using the GN for the carb stuff and the DRz125 for everythinge else?

hmm... I'd swear my research says there's a DR125 pre-86, even bought parts off one.

BikeBandit even thinks so: http://www.bikebandit.com/1983-suzuki-motorcycle-dr125d/o/m5813

Your research is correct Smacaroni, I own an 83 DR125 that fired up for the first time yesterday!:ride: and my neighbor has owned an 82 since new.

86+ is a slightly different engine design, as I'm finding out the hard way.

The head is different in terms of combustion chamber design (Twin swirl vs Twin Dome CC),

BUT the good news is the piston is the same up to the modern DR-Z125, so unlikely it's that big of a deal

DR100 and 82-85 DR125 CDI ignition are .the same, 86+ is different. BUT if you get the whole kit, it's no big deal, swap it all out together. Piece by piece, do the proper bits.

Use this manual. It's what the old Suzuki tech told me to get over a stock one.

DR-Z carb works, GN, Yamaha TTR, the LT125 or 185 quad.. the list goes on. It was just a basic 22mm Mik on it, round cylinder side, no flange. I borrowed my friend's stock TTR 125 carb to get my bike running, and I'm tempted to keep it, but for the goofy choke :thumbsup:

hey guys, so i got the manual and everything. I am looking for a gas talk for my 86 sp125... right now it has this horrible looking honda gas tank and i hate it. The oem ones from bikebandit are toooo expensive and ebay doesnt have anything... any input. ?/

There seem to be only a FEW DR-125S bikes around. I picked up a '96 DR-125SE last week (pics coming, it's in pieces now) and have a bugger of a time finding specs and such for it. I'll be around TT and will try to share what I learn about mine in case it helps anyone else.

Specs, a lot of the specs are the same as the DR-Z125 except carb/frame. Use the GN125 manual you can find via google for the rest - except suspension, that's different and you just kinda gotta figure that out on your own.