Lowering a CRF250X

Hi there,

I'm just a shortie (5'5"), a little older (aproaching 50) and considering a 2004 CRF250X. Have any of you had much luck in lowering these bikes? As it is now, I can't even touch tiptoes when sitting on the seat.

I've seen reference to a Kouba Link http://koubalink.com/ and a Speedmetal subframe lowering kit http://www.speedmetaldesigns.com/, which combined, would shave off about 3.5".

Has anyone had any experience with these products or are there other ways to decrease the seat height?

I guess I could also shave an inch off the seat foam and lower the triple clamps a bit...

Thanks,

Barry

By the way I also have a twin brother who installed the kouba link and shaved some off his seat off. He got his a little lower than mine, but his a$$ sure does pay for it at the end of a ride. It is unbelievabe how hard and uncormfortable it is. I think he shaved to much off. Let me know how that speedmetal design works, i am interested.

The Kouba link and Durelle seat sounds like a good combination. Those with the Speedmetal mod may do the trick.

Tell me, with mods you have currently done, are you able to swing your leg over the seat on flat ground, or are you still looking for peaks and valleys in the terrain to assist getting on the bike?

The Speedmetal kit works great. It helps you mount the bike by lowering the rear fender. If your suspension is due for a service it can be lowered using spacers for about $100. I would personally lower both ends at the same time. I have experimented with varying levels of lowering. I would lower the subframe, seat, drop the forks and see how this works out for you. If this is not enough then I would go to lowering the suspension. I have found that for most riding, the lowered suspension works fine. For big whoops it does not work so well.

A kouba link is a heck of a lot easier to install than cutting your subframe. Personally, I would get a kouba link, drop the front to even the bike out and get a lower seat if it is still not low enough for you. You will have to drop the front even with the speedmetal kit. Kouba links are a little more expensive then the speedmetal kit, but it is an entirely reversable mod and can be returned to stock with the removal of two bolts.

You don't even need to buy a Kuoba link (though they are a fine product)

Some will argue with this method of lowering the rear end, but here is what I did for my 5ft tall wife who infrequently uses the bike for casual dual sporting.

Put the bike up on a stand, preferably one you can adjust in height while the bike is on it, or use a floor jack.

Pull the lower shock mounting bolt.

Lower the bike or raise the rear wheel to the desired ride height.

Align the shock back on the lower mount point.

Mark the new bolt position on the lower shock mounting point.

Drop the wheel back down and drill out a new mounting hole in the lower shock mount.

Reassemble

Either slide the forks up in the triples or have them professionally lowered using spacers.

Go ride ?

I'm 5'5". I used the Durel seat and Kouba. It worked well til I got used to the bike and put it back to stock cuz it felt to low but it was a easy swap back. I run a link only my 450.

Not to sure about a new hole in the shock arm but I've heard of it before.

Good luck with what ever you chose.

I had originally intended to do the Kouba link, but shaving the seat got me down far enough to get a solid foot on the ground and I'm 5'7".

Shaving the seat has the fewest downsides (retains stock ground cleareance and travel) and costs nothing if you can find an electric knife and a stapler. If you decide you need to be lower than what a shaved seat will allow, you can always do the more expensive mods later.

That said, I have grown tired of my bars being shoulder height when seated and my knees being bent > 90 degrees. I'm going back to a stock seat height and having the suspension shortened.

Thanks Guys,

I ended up going with a 2004 CRF230. I know it is not up to the calibre of a 250X but it is likely all I will need for right now. Also, I reach the ground with no lowering required! ?

My next ride will be a 250X...

Barry

• Like 1