Sign in to follow this  

Seized Transmission Bearing

Ive got a seized transmission bearing that im trying to replace. Problem is that you cant get at the back of it bc of the casing. And all the bearing pullers ive tried are to deep as there is only 2-3mm clearance between the back of the bearing and the motor case. Any ideas?

bearing.jpg

You should be able to get it with one of these.

953418552c19091009cefc2.jpg

Another option is to heat the case in an oven and simply tap the case against a block of wood until the bearing falls out.

I have seen that bearing fail once before. I determined the customer was forcing dirt and water into the bearing through the clutch lifter arm seal (from pressure washing).

I havnt seen that specific motion pro bearing puller before. Have an details on it? And also will heating the case hurt the integrity of any of the other bearings seats as they are good still and i dont plan on replacing them.

I have that bearing puller set and have used it many times. It's about $200 so you may not want to buy the set unless you do alot of mechanical work. Maybe call around to your local shops and see if someone will pull it for you. The heat method will work too. No worries with heat as long as you heat the entire case and don't try to do it with a torch. Just don't melt your seals..

Rocky mountain atv sells one that is made i believe by tusk--same kit, but cheaper in price. Tool is called blind side puller

Yeah seals are all already pulled. So heat method wont do any harm there. My question is if i heat the whole case and tap the whole case whats to keep the other bearings from coming out as well? As those do not need replacement.

Yeah seals are all already pulled. So heat method wont do any harm there. My question is if i heat the whole case and tap the whole case whats to keep the other bearings from coming out as well? As those do not need replacement.

Nothing will keep them in, but you can always just put them back. Its not like if the fall out, they aren't any good anymore... :ride:

Id love to have one of those puller sets though.. :thumbsup:

Here's the MotionPro set from TT.

I didnt check the discount, but its usually about 10%

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=913

If you are already this far, we don't even want to hear that you are cutting corners and not replacing everything in those cases while its apart !

Man if you felt these bearings you wouldn't replace um either lol. Got the bike on a steal from an unloving/needing money owner. Its getting all new Seals and gaskets, crank Carrillo rod and piston. Besides compared to my R6 splitting these cases is a breeze