Is Mobil 1 ok to use?

I was thinking of using mobil 1 15w-50 in my 06 drz 400s

Some people say its not good for the clutches?? Looking for a few opinions.

Thanks.

Im know theres a ton of oil topics, just cant find what im looking for.

Hello,

This subject has been covered in many a thread. I have read quite a few of them and probably aren't even close to reading all of them. There seems to be a few schools of thought...some prefer different brands.........and some are purely data and results driven.

Dino oil, non-syn, will work fine. Change it 500-1000 miles dirt and 1000 and 2000 for road mileage. The owners manual states the API grading as SM, SJ or SL I think...you should check.

I use rotella T 15-40 partial synthetic. Not the best oil, but from my reading adequate to use if changed regularly.

Then you have race specific Silkolene and Motol, Royal Purple, the list goes one.

I would encourage you to search drz oil and then come to your own conclusions. Eddie and other supporting members have compiled a lot of actual test data, not too mention real world experience.

Good luck.

If you want to use Mobil One why not use the motorcycle specific type made specifically for bikes-10W40 or 20W50-there is no problem with using these except 20W-50 might be too much viscosity for your application-also you can find these oils at many auto parts stores and Walmart.

Edited by bimbamboom
misspelling
  • Like 1

I use Mobil 1 15w-50 in all my bikes (5 quart jugs at Walmart for $25). DRZ400 Sumo, Wr450, CBR600. The sportbike guys have been using the stuff for years. It used to come with the 'red' cap, then the 'gold' cap, and now it's silver. Many believe the formula has changed slightly over the years, but I still use it. I have ran it in my '04 WR450 since new. It now has close to 9,000 hard dirt miles and not one single problem. Valves haven't moved. No clutch slippage(still on original clutch). Just to re-iterate, regular and timely oil changes will have more of an effect on a motorcycle engine than the brand of oil used-JMHO-

• Like 1

I've said this before... but NO... don't use Mobil 1 in your bike. The problem is, our bikes have a wet stator, and Mobil 1 has sulfur compounds that are known to eat yellow metals. (like copper) In the V-twin world, it has been a big no-no to use it in the chain case. (Harley's have oil in 2 or 3 places)

If you want to find more to read about it... goggle the GL4 GL5 debate. (same issue, and easy to find info)

I like Mobil 1... but in this aplication... don't do it.

Just my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.

Hey dr.honda. Are u talking about the motorcycle specific mobile 1 being bad for the stator or just the regular stuff?

Unless they changed something... all of it.

Most bikes don't have a wet stator, so it's OK to use. (and it's good, high quality stuff) The motorcycle oil doesn't have molybdenum to help the clutches, but still has sulfur. This became a problem when they use to pimp the V-twin oil as being good for the primary case on Harleys. They also have a wet stator. (now it's a no-no)

There is a big list of other oils to use... just pic something else for the DRZ.

Does the doctor have an oil analysis of some actual Mobil 1 or is this just more Internet oil fluff?

This is first hand experience from working with V-twins. Also, Mobil doesn't recommend using it in the chain case anymore for that reason.

I've said before... I like Mobil 1... and I use it in my Buell's engine... but not the chaincase. (where the stator is) Our DRZ's just happen to share the engine oil with the stator, and since the stators have a relatively short life... I would think that anything to extend that life would be welcome.

I'm simply trying to pass along some info... I'm not going to get into a poo fight over it.

Use it if you want, but I would take MutualBill's advice.

OK... this will be my last post on this.

Here is Mobil 1's page on the "V-twin" oil...

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_V-Twin_20W-50.aspx

If you read down a few lines, they say it's good for the transmission, but then a few lines later they say if you have a separate transmission to use the factory recommended fluid. So... if it's good for the trans... why tell people to buy the factory fluid?? because it was eating wet stators. (but they aren't going to tell you the negatives of their product)

The DRZ is one of only a few bikes with a wet stator. you need an oil with no extreme pressure additives. (all of witch contain sulfur)

Take it for what it's worth... or call Mobil and ask them if you can put it in the chain case. (if you tell them it's for a DRZ they may not know it's wet)

Oh... and the reason I didn't show the MX page is because 99% of the bikes out there have a dry stator.

Just a question. Why are some of you guys running 15w50? The manual states 10w40. Running a heavier oil when it is not needed can sacrifice top end lubrication. I was just wondering why.No big deal.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.*The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads.*In addition, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has a high performance dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars. (Updated December 2007)