Sign in to follow this  

EFI push start

I did the customary search but found nothing. If your battery craps out in the wilderness, can you push start an EFI bike or not. I assume if you had a friend along, a jump start would work, but what if you are solo??

Depends on how dead your battery is. If it's totally dead - you left it on all night, you're screwed there probably is not enough voltage to operate the injector let alone a TCI coil.

If you have it too dead to turn over fast, but it does turn over, a push start might still work. However, even my kick-start 550 single takes quite a push to get it to turn on pavement only in 2nd gear or above - my rear tire is proof, on dirt I think it would just lock up in anything but 4th or 5th and then it won't turn the engine fast enough to catch.

thanks, I guess most riders don't really worry about it. The only times I've been stranded from a dead battery was when my stator died and a push start would not have helped in that situation for an EFI or carbed bike.

In theory if you left your lights on or something, you could push start it.

However most of the time if your battery craps out, it's cause something else is wrong, in addition to the fact that push starting on dirt is next to impossible.

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible. I push started my EFI street bike multiple times with a dead battery. I guess it'd be just like push starting any other dirt bike, not the easiest feat on dirt but when you're stuck you're stuck and you'll try anything

Multiple cylinder bikes are much easier to push start, but on one occasion, I left my parking lights on all day while I was at work and my carb'd bike wouldn't start with a good run.

For reference, my 553cc inline four can be push started by duck walking it at a good pace, my 558cc single? A running start, forget running a sprint start hop on rolling down a hill slam it in second hope it doesn't lock up the rear... son of a gun there goes 20 miles worth of rubber! Pull in the clutch slam it in third roll a little longer dump the clutch... chug-chug-chug...chug... chug...

Street bikes also have larger contact patches on solid surfaces. Way easier to push start.

Anything is possible, probable is a different story.

I've had luck with my Z once on a push start in dirt, someone else pushing, somewhat downhill also, and then popped the clutch in 3rd, Fired first time. I jumped up and down on the seat when I popped the clutch, that seemed to help with the traction.

It's a lot easier if someone else is doing the pushin..