Sign in to follow this  

Insurance

Alright, here is the deal, i currently have a car licence but no motorcycle licence. I have an enduro legal bike. Figuring why the hell not, lets get the bike registered and insured and get my licence. Anyway, anyone know if i have to get my M permit before i can get insurance to register?

You can get insurance without having the M endorsement, at least in Ohio anyways. NY might be different.

I have never been asked if I have a license when getting insurance.

They could care less, they just want your money.

Thats how it works:thumbsup:

Alright, basically i've been getting quotes from progressive and whatnot and it does ask. on the website. Anyway, thanks for the help, i'll get around to doing it and just take one trip to the dmv, not two.

And hey, maybe that will give me time to fix my car.

i live in ny and they don't care if you have the m or not. got insurance on my rocket before i had my permit. its all about the money. oh and try state farm for insurance. progressive for me was about $2500 a yr where SF was only $500 a yr. crazy difference

I had a motorcycle license for about the first 20 years of driving. For some very dumb reason on my part I let it drop and just stayed with auto. Well about five years ago I bought a street legal bike again and got plates and insurance for it, then went and took the written test at the DMV. Here in Illinois they give you a “learners permit” after the written exam. They want you to ride along a licensed motorcyclist for a while, then take the driving part to get your full license. My plan was to wait a week or two, just to play along, then take the driving test. In the mean time my insurance company contacted me wanting to know why I got insurance on a bike when I don’t have a license. It didn’t matter if I had a “learners permit” they expected a full license. You can’t take the DMV test without insurance, but you can’t get insurance without the DMV license? Yep, that’s the way it is with that insurance company. I quickly dropped them and went to Geico. Geico doesn’t care if you’re licensed or not, all they want is your money.