Sign in to follow this  

Diesel Conversion ?

After going for a ride last weekend and friends 400 running out of juice, we nicked some from mine and headed to the petrol station, being a good m8 he filled his bike then passed the nozzle to me and filled mine back up....sounds a decent guy so far.

Went back home and cleaned bikes then his wouldn't start-up....you guessed it he has filled his tank with diesel and added about 4 litres to mine :thumbsup: trying to find a home for the contaminated fuel is another story lol.

Ahhh well least we have the bikes @ home.

You can see if yours will run like that. It will clean all the carbon out of your cylinders and off the cylinder head and off the valves. It will remove all the carbon deposits off everything. Ever heard of Sea Foam? Basically just diesel fuel. If you added too much for it to run, just drain the tank, drain the bowl, top off with fresh gas and youre back in business. I think itd be fun to try to run it though...all smoky like. :thumbsup:

WOW!! what can you do when this happens? Clean stuff up? Will it damage the engine?

I don't think it will damage the engine, but you may want to flush your tank and carb, and change your plug after. Diesel is a larger hydrocarbon molecule, and doesn't burn the same way as gas, which is why diesels run off of compression, instead of a spark plug like a gasoline motor.

Kinda surprised that you guys got your bikes back home without any problems.

I seen a car do that , they fired it up and it started smoking so bad you couldn't see the store.

Had a friend accidentally put diesel in a fuel injected sportbike.... needless to say it was NOT a happy engine.

gas engines will run on diesel. Like it was posted above, it smokes A LOT!

At my equipment shop, I get machines in all the time where the customer thinks his motor is blown or is wondering why the dang thing is smoking so much.

As to cleaning the engine out, not true, try and run it and see how long before the plug gets fouled.

Trust me a XR won't run on diesel lol, maybe "if" you could get it started it might but we all know what these bikes are like with petrol let alone another fuel type.

Drained both bikes down yesterday and filled up with fresh gas, same plug just dried with blowtorch and started from a bump first time, cough and spluutered on the kickstarter but my leg was knackered out so pushed instead.

Cost my friend 2 tanks of gas but he's happy as I @ least found the problem, wonder how long he would have messed with it before checking the fuel....2 years :thumbsup:.