Sign in to follow this  

Duel sport help, I'm new here, Hello to all

Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a KLX 250 s, to ride on the street and trails.

I have a couple quesitons. I have riden a stock 2007 KLX 250 and I thought it was under powered. Does the 2009 have more power?

I was told by a local mech. that if i change out the exhaust, re jet, and a high comp piston (10 or 10.5) i would see huge gains? Is this correct?

I like the size of a 250 due to my 5'8" frame but i also tip the scale at 220. My freind says to with a drz 400 but that bike is way tall, even the shorter SM.

I don't need all the power of the drz, but would like to get closer to the drz then the stock 2007 250 klx i rode.

Any other bikes i should consider?

thanks for the help

Craig

Your friend might have the right idea. If you tip the scales past 200 lbs then a 250 is going to seem weak. I thought the 250 class is weak myself. A few mods like helping the exhaust breathe will help, but I would lean towards the 400's. The DR-Z 400S is a great choice. I have a CRF 450x myself, but they don't come road ready.

Look at the Husqvarna TE Series bikes. The 250 Husky is about twice as powerful as a KLX 250. They also have a 'stroked' 310 TE. I personally have a TE 510, which has a stupid amount of power for a DS.

You arent going to find another DS with more power thats sits as low as the KLX (which IMO is really more street oriented). All of the other available DS bikes that have more power are going to be full sized (ie frames not motor) regardless of the cc's. I love my Husky TE450, but its really much more of a dirt bike than street bike. The TE 250/310 are just as tall as the DRZ. Wouldnt do any extended hwy stints on my TE or any other TE.... but thats just me. Your buddy is spot on with the DRZ suggestion.