Sign in to follow this  

Black grease leaking on to front fender?

I'm sure this has something to do with the steering stem or bearing, but here lately I have noticed a bit of oily black grease like residue leaking onto the back portion of my front fender. This may or may not be related, but I have noticed a little bit leaking on the top of the frame as well.

I would rather already purchase the part so I have it in hand when I take the steering apart. What is this leaking from?

It's probably from the steering head bearings, and if so it's nothing to worry about. Wipe it off and see how long it takes to come back and try to see where the oil/grease is coming from.

What year is it? If its from 01-05 you could have a crack on your neck. The oil runs through the frame, could be leaking through the neck

Is your gas cap vent tube tucked inside your steering tube? It could be gas spilling out of that and collecting dirt. Or it could be grease coming out of the steering bearings.

You shouldn't be getting black goo on the fender. Gasoline is not likely the cause b/c gas is clean and evaporates mostly clean (unless you buy REALLY cheap gas or steal it from someone who is on to you, LOL).

A couple/few of possibilities, first, if it is oil on the fender, then check-

1- As mentioned, look for a crack in the steering head.

2- Or, does the bike have a WER damper (or ever had one)? If so, it's easy to nick the oil tank when drilling the WER frame attachment rivets. If this is the case, you can coat the trouble spot with some oil proof RTV.

3- If you have grease on the fender, inspect the steering lower bearing seal. That seal could be out of position. Look under the steering head and make sure the seal is firmly seated.

It's an 06 so it has an external oil tank. No oil in the frame. I just put a gas vent tube on the cap but I believe it was doing it before with the stock tube. Premium gas. No cheap stuff.

I'm thinking bad seal. I wouldn't imagine packed grease could actually leak though could it?

Take the triple clamps off, clean the bearings and re-grease with waterproof grease. Sounds like water is getting in there, which will cause the bearings to rust soon.

The goo is probably from the grease. Certain greases do release oil (read- cheap grease), and that could be what it leaking on the fender.

It's not a big deal to tear it apart for a look see- probably less time than the total time spent by everybody here talking about it- (well, except for the wisdom from that deep thinker WickedMethod). And, it's not like all your bearings are going to fall on the ground in pieces and you'll wish you left it together. If the bearings are getting bad, you can grease them up for a short term fix (within reason) and get new parts on order. If the bearings are so bad you cannot grease them back to life temporarily, you don't want to ride the bike anyway.

Tear it apart and report back.

Gasoline is not likely the cause b/c gas is clean and evaporates mostly clean (unless you buy REALLY cheap gas or steal it from someone who is on to you, LOL).

Gas will wash the grease out of the bearing and spread it out onto the fender, where it then collects dust, giving it a dark almost black greasy color. I have had this problem before. Not saying this is necessarily the issue here, but it is something to look into.

Gas will wash the grease out of the bearing and spread it out onto the fender, where it then collects dust, giving it a dark almost black greasy color. I have had this problem before. Not saying this is necessarily the issue here, but it is something to look into.

How could this happen? The triple clamp steering stem shaft is hollow with no gaps (or should be or else you have some big problems). When gas flows out the overflow hose, and then down the steering stem shaft, it is all down hill straight to the fender; grease is not part of the equation. Where/how would the gas pick up grease along the way?

Maybe, if you did some really violent manuevers which would cause the gas to flow back up into the steering bearings, but in that case, the rider is probably typing with a pencil in his mouth?

How could this happen? The triple clamp steering stem shaft is hollow with no gaps (or should be or else you have some big problems). When gas flows out the overflow hose, and then down the steering stem shaft, it is all down hill straight to the fender; grease is not part of the equation. Where/how would the gas pick up grease along the way?

Maybe, if you did some really violent manuevers which would cause the gas to flow back up into the steering bearings, but in that case, the rider is probably typing with a pencil in his mouth?

Sorry, I miss-spoke, not out of the bearings, but if there happened to be any grease anywhere near the bottom of the steering stem from when you slathered everything with grease last then grease could enter the equation. I know when I grease my bearings I use a ton of grease and it tends to ooze out everywhere, even down around the bottom triple clamp and onto the fender. Regardless of whether there is grease involved or not, gasoline itself leaking through the vent tube and spilling onto the fender leaves a residue that that is very dark and dirty once it collects a little dust. If you have ever had a vent line valve stick then you would know what I am talking about.

I have the same problem. Black grease oozing down the rear top side of the front fender. Took the steering stem apart. Bearing are toast. Full of rust. I serviced them about a year ago. The seals don't really keep water out. They require servicing more often than one would think. At least yearly. I'm replacing mine.