Sign in to follow this  

09yz450f stock tires, chain, sprockets any good?

Hello, got an 09 yz450f, probably only about 20 hours of soft riding on it. Im a fairly inexperienced rider, got the basics and small jumps down, and wondering if my riding will improve if i swap out the stock tires. I ride mostly sand (not dunes), and hard packed. Also should i swap out the stock chain and sprockets? Is there anything on the bike that is junk in stock form that i should swap out? Got about $300 i can throw into her, what should i do with it? Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about the chain and sprockets until they start showing wear. A more aggressive front tire would be helpful for you since you're somewhat inexperienced. I swapped out my stock front tire for a Kenda Millville when I first started riding and it improved the handling/cornering big time! A back tire wouldn't be a bad idea either but after 20 hours of soft riding it shouldn't look too bad. That's your call though.

The stock chain is junk from the factory and will ruin the sprockets in no time. I suggest not even running the stock chain at all, put a better chain on right away and the sprockets will last much longer. The tires depend on personal preference and riding terrain. Other than the chain there isn't much that I would say is "junk" from the factory on that bike. The stock silencer is very restrictive, but if you don't feel that you need more power than the bike already has then it is fine. Make sure you pull the steering head and suspension linkage apart and pack the bearings with grease or else you will be sorry that you didn't.

k sweet, ill probably just replace the chain then...any solid recommendations?