Sign in to follow this  

So HOW GOOD is it for a DUAL SPORT rider in the S.W.?

I want to know just how good it is for D/S riders in the southwestern states? For this thread, I'm just wondering about Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. I get jealous when I see these states on TV and picture myself "out there" playing somewhere. How restrictive is the territory? Do you have to stay on designated trails or are you free to roam? One more question - How many months of the year can you ride - 10, 11, 12? Beats the hell out of Minnesota, I bet!

Thanks for your input.

:thumbsup:

well; I am in Ca, so may not be the right one to answer... but I have ridden Utah, New Mexico and Arizona a few times. Less riding than used to be, but still a lot of places..."free to roam" is a bit of an overstatement, but yeah; you can ride all day on trails and not see another person, or pick a more traveled route and have plenty of company

Riding is really 12 months a year, as long as you are willing to go up in elevation during the Summer months... Phoenix gets to be 120 on occasion, and that's just plain F'OT... but run up to Flag (for instance) and it'll cool down quite a bit

Most of the open ride anywhere is now gone. Until a few years ago most National Forests were open to ride anywhere as long as you were not damaging the "resources." With the travel management process that is now mostly a fond memory. I think most BLM land has gone the same way. That said in many places there are still a lot of miles of trail to ride.

As far a singletrack goes I think Idaho may have the other 49 states beat.

There is lots and lots of riding here in Nevada. Any kind of terrain you want and usually many different kinds near each other so you can have a nicely varied ride.

As far a singletrack goes I think Idaho may have the other 49 states beat.

You know, I never would have guess that.... so you are saying there is pretty much more trails in idaho than anywhere else in the states?

You know, I never would have guess that.... so you are saying there is pretty much more trails in idaho than anywhere else in the states?

this may be true, but idaho is covered in snow and freezing cold half of the year....nevada, arizona, NM is great in the winter in the lower areas, and good in the higher altitudes in the summer.

hot in the summer in most places thoughin the summer.

live in idaho, in may-oct, and nv az nm in oct-may :thumbsup:

perfect world

this may be true, but idaho is covered in snow and freezing cold half of the year....nevada, arizona, NM is great in the winter in the lower areas, and good in the higher altitudes in the summer.

hot in the summer in most places thoughin the summer.

live in idaho, in may-oct, and nv az nm in oct-may :thumbsup:

perfect world

so...uh... why do you live in So Cal?:lol:

:ride: Just messin witch ya... I can say; even if I didn't have my job here, I'd still want to stay in SoCal. The beach, the trails, the mountains, the desert; we get it all.

I'll bet Idaho DOES have some great trails though... THAT'S what vacations are for

Idaho is no good! Last year the trails in my area didn't melt off until late August and then it started snowing again in September.

better you stay away...far away...

so...uh... why do you live in So Cal?:ride:

:thumbsup: Just messin witch ya... I can say; even if I didn't have my job here, I'd still want to stay in SoCal. The beach, the trails, the mountains, the desert; we get it all.

I'll bet Idaho DOES have some great trails though... THAT'S what vacations are for

i think akm is just tryin to keep us off his trails :lol:

im not leaving cali myself but the OP specifically excluded cali in his info request so i was just adding what i knew about az nm nv, none of them are cali, even with our closed areas and many restrictions, cali still has some of the best riding and most varied terrain anywhere. not to mention the best weather by far....but he didnt want to know about here, soooo:moon:

to him and more for us :lol:

I knew guys from other states would chime in and I'm sure there are some fun states, I just wanted to know about the SW. I wasn't sure if I'd get a "So, why don't you move??". If you were thinking of asking that, first slap yourself, then sit and think about it. ......OK...now did JOB, FAMILY, SPOUSES JOB, EXTENDED FAMILY, KIDS, maybe GRANDKIDS come into mind at all? See, biking is a hobby for me, but it doesn't rule my life. Thats why I do the best I can in the place I live. The riding just sucks sometimes.

i never said move, i said in a perfect world one could live summers in the north and winters in the sw that would be awesome for all reason of lifes.

if you are just looking for a vacation ride, anywhere in the sw is great in the winter, i highly recommend az and nv....

Man, if I could afford it, thats just what I'd do. It's just a little frustrating to find yourself in a state that's just fair at best - at worst, it's froze solid.. Actually, I do have a cousin that does just that, lives in Arizona in winter and Minnesota in summer. But he is a retired airline pilot. HE can afford it.

for sure, it would be nice. there is this older couple that are somewhat wealthy that live in the summer at their ranch in montana and then travel to parker az and live in a cool little riverside campground right on the colorado river in a huge diesel bus motorhome. not a conversion, a real 1/4 million or more dollar motorcoach.

they tow their chevy truck behind the bus with a golf cart in the bed and a harley on this custom rack on the hitch that lifts the bike up and the truck tows up under the bike rack.

they leave a little pontoon boat in storage at the river rv park.

what a life....fishin, ridin, and relaxin all in great weather....we call em bluebirds

In NV I can ride....and ride.....and ride ....and so on until its all my a$$ can stand. I have a 100+ mile loop I do out of my house that involves about 28 miles of pavement and the rest desert. Check out my ride report here in the DS forums "Tree huggers in Vegas" where two fellow TT'rs from WA came down for some desert ds riding. AZ & Utah are also amazing places with so much riding its exhausting to say the least.

As some others have stated about Idaho it is an amazing place as well with some of the most incredible scenic single track you could imagine. But those damn potato heads like to keep their trails to themselves so you have to bribe them with good beer or cheap liquor to get the skinny on the good trails.:thumbsup:

i love the riding in NV. from Vegas, you can in pretty much in any direction and find great trails. we are starting to lose land fast though to the greenies and solar projects