Sign in to follow this  

suggestions/comments on suspension setup for my 05 wr250

my suspension is stock now and to be honest it does fine, but i read all the posts about getting your suspension done and how good it is it makes me wonder, it is time to get the shock serviced/recharged do i need it revalved? i don't race i basically ride trails for fun, i weigh 200 without gear, i just want to get stiffer springs but the guy who is doing the work says i need a revalve for the stiffer springs, basically what i am asking you guys is will i see a huge difference if i do the full meal deal new springs and revalve, is it worth it since i don't race is it worth the money thanks

You are far from the target rider weight so yes, suspension work, valving and springs will be beneficial for you. The faster or heaver you are, the more important it is. You wont regret it. You need a bigger piston too :thumbsup:

I rode a 05 WR250F for a few years. I weigh just a little less than you and I used my WR for just trail riding. The rear suspension isn't quite so bad, but the forks are what really need some help. The stock fork valving is just waaaay too soft- the forks blow thru the travel and allow the front to dive excessively in corners. I did a couple of small stack changes and it improved substantially.

The one thing I would suggest, is that if the forks have never been serviced, I would change the fluid & seals & wipers & guide bushings. On the 2005 YZ/YZF/WRF, the guide bushings had a problem with the Teflon coating falling off- it comes off in big patches. Almost every 05 that I knew, had this problem. The WR took a couple years longer than the YZ/YZF. Anyway, when this coating lets go, it gets into the valve stacks, lets the seals gush oil, and basically ruins your day.

Hi,

Whether you revalve or not, a rider needs the proper spring rate to achieve proper sag. If you currently have the stock springs you are riding too far into the progression of the shock which makes the rear suspension perform more harsh than it should on the smaller bumps; you also have too much sag and less overall net travel. And chances are your rear suspension is sagging too much and also causing understeer in the front (steering too slow in the tight stuff).

Sag: http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm