Sign in to follow this  

Our little man is getting new boingers

All went well, but I am going with a different rear shock. The one in the kit requires the seat base to be cut. Not a big deal, but you can feel it in the seat foam at times. Sux because it is a nice adjustable shock. I suspect that if you were running a tall seat you would never know it was there.

Edit - flipped shock around; works perfectly.

Still waiting for the control kit to show up today.

Edited by bronc3

Moving to the rear, I first removed the kickstand. I will either modify the stocker or use a triangle on the old kickstand mount as it is too short now and might interfere with the new swingarm:

03032010011.jpg

Removing the old stuff:

03032010013.jpg

03032010014.jpg

03032010015.jpg

I am getting ready to do the same to my son's XR50. Who's kit did you use? Which shock did you end up with? Could the stock shock be used? Thanks for any information.

looks great scott i guess sawyer is next. thanks for testing that out for us.

well scott i ordered the bar kit that was on sale at bbr today. I couldn't pass it up so i'm one step closer.

How much for the kit?

I think by the time he put all parts together it cost right between $550 to $600. He will be our guinee pig

I am getting ready to do the same to my son's XR50. Who's kit did you use? Which shock did you end up with? Could the stock shock be used? Thanks for any information.

I used Brand X minis' 6" kit from - you guessed it- FleaBay. Great kit for the money. Some of the hardware was Chinese-y, but I was able to use most of the stock Honda hardware. I am extremely pleased with this kit after watching Aiden flog the bike. It is incredible to watch a 6 year old on a CRF50 plant a landing like an adult on a big CRF coming off of a large jump.

I bought a chain guide from FleaBay. Only way to go.

Pro Taper KTM50 bend SE bars and a 120 link 420 chain came from Loco MX. Absolutely fantastic people to deal with. If they had stocked all the stuff I needed, I probably would've bought it all from them.

The controls came from BBR directly. Kit was missing the brake cable, but I managed to make the stock cable work for now. They are ovenighting me the correct cable and - ahem - splitting the shipping with me. Seemed a little lame to me; I waited almost a week for this kit, and it's not my fault they forgot the brake cable.

Stock shock will bolt in, but you don't want to use it. It is actually way too soft and doesn't allow any travel.

Edited by bronc3

Make sure you mount your shock like this, not the way the instructions tell you. Works perfect, but you have to pull the seat to adjust the damping. If you mount it like they tell you it will give you a lump in your seat.

03032010023.jpg