Sign in to follow this  

92-98 YZ 250 Cylinder differences

Hi guys. I came across a parts stash that I bought and in that stash was a complete top end ready to go for a YZ250. The cylinder was sleeved and it is a 68mm kit. It's very complete with cylinder, piston, rings, bearing, top end gasket kit etc. I am thinking I want to find a bike to put it on. The wiseco piston says YZ250 from 92-98. Are the top ends the same across these years for this bike? I want to make sure if I get a bike with a bad top end for cheap that I at least get the correct bike for these parts.

Thanks!

im pretty sure the 97-98 cylinder wont fit on a 96 or older bike.

you got some homework to do

look at the casting of the cylinder, it should have a 3 digit code right before the displacement ie; 4jx 01 249cc go to a parts website that has a cross reference of parts that fit different models, the 4jx would be a 94 yz250 but also used on 94 -97 wr250.

look at the base gasket part # and see 2vm that will fit 88-96 so theoritically you can bolt on the cylinder but..88-89 has a longer rod,88-92&96 -up has a different chassis so will you have a pipe that can fit.

using the 94yz as an example I know the 93 pipe is the same and the 95 chassis is the same so bolting on a 94 cylinder to a 93 bike should pose no real problem, bolting it on a 95 chassis recquires a 93-94 pipe,power valve assembly,depending on the carb you are using the proper model intake manifold and throttle cable.....easily doable by throwing money at parts that can be found.

I believe the 94 cylinder will bolt on the 97-98 but the base gasket different part numbers tells me the thickness is probably changed so machining may be in order and you probably won't find a pipe that will fit that cylinder/chassis combination

well looks like I made it easy on myself by paying attention to the receipt. There was $558 worth of work done.....all for a 94 WR250. Thank you all for the help though.

Buggymaster-If you get to a point were you find a differant ride -and want to sell your Top-end set-up--please contact me thru this site!--Thanks-Ray.

Check my 94 out at http://s754.photobucket.com

Hell I can,t get this to work -I have some good pic's on photobucket titled My Yz Rebuild Im under Prostreetray

If someone can figure it out and post a link --it would be apprecated

Thanks-Ray

Edited by prostreetray