Sign in to follow this  

Primary nut fix wrong socket size

guys,

The primary nut appears to be a 27mm socket

The deep socket required for the opposing side once you remove the stator appears to be 27mm too, not the deep 26mm socket suggested in the primary nut fix thread.

Can anyone confirm this too??

I was going to say, my 27 seems to rock on there a little bit. It's a 12 point socket - Do I stand a risk of rounding it off with this?

My 6 point 26mm won't fit on there at all.

Do I need to buy 2 x 27mm 6 point sockets?

A little paranoid after my previous 12 point socket experiences when dealing with large amounts of torque on the nut.

Cheers,

Con

Throw your 12 pt sockets away.

Srsly...

The problem is not many local stores carry a deep 26mm socket or 26mm wrench.

I ended up using my impact driver. Gave the red loctite plenty of time to cure.

The problem is not many local stores carry a deep 26mm socket or 26mm wrench.

I ended up using my impact driver. Gave the red loctite plenty of time to cure.

??? They don’t ?? Any sears store, Hardware store, tool shop, and many pawn shops (which is where I pick up a lot of used tools to use in custom tool endeavors)

26MM 12 point box end wrench.. any brand, and a $15 propane torch. .. .. but if that des not work out.. a strap wrench will hold the flywheel as well.

And ya, an air impact gun is the way a lot of us do it.. but not recommended unless you know what you’re doing.

Well, I'll qualify that statement - many autozone/oreilly types don't carry those tools. And I know they're NOT the place to be looking for tools..

I'm gonna go check out some pawn shops around. Good idea. I've heard garage sales can be good too.

Well, I'll qualify that statement - many autozone/oreilly types don't carry those tools. And I know they're NOT the place to be looking for tools..

I'm gonna go check out some pawn shops around. Good idea. I've heard garage sales can be good too.

OK, got ya :thumbsup: Never considered those kind of places when I made my reply :ride:

Yup garage sales are great places to pick up used tools for the custom stuff.

I have a ton of random used tools that are there for the pure use of modifying to fit a specific use... Need a better wrench for that die grinder then the cheap stamped one? Grab one from the pile, grind it to fit, paint it so you know it's no longer a 10mm (or what ever) and your good to go..

Need a piece of 30mm stock to turn a bushing or driver from?? Snag one from the bucket of sockets chuck it in the lathe, and turn it to size.... :lol:

oh ya,, I love cheap used tools... :lol:

Brick, as Eddie said, it is a weird size. If you cannot get a 26mm on, then go with a 27. If the socket is a 6pt. and you keep it square and held firm, you will be fine.

William,

Just to clear this up - I'm talking about the primary nut on the crank case side, it appears to be a precise size no? Is it a 26 or 27mm?

I've taken heed of the advice on the cast flywheel hex holder, and will get a deep 27mm 6 point at lunch to take care of this.

Cheers,

Con

Thanks William - just read through all the pages in the primary nut fix and it is a 27mm.

Probably worth editing the first post in the thread and adding this info, save people the bother!

Cheers,

Con

Thanks William - just read through all the pages in the primary nut fix and it is a 27mm.

Probably worth editing the first post in the thread and adding this info, save people the bother!

Cheers,

Con

Why would we want to do that,,,, It got you to read the whole How to thread :thumbsup:

A fair point, however I tend to print things off and then follow the instructions (don't want to get my laptop oily in the garage :ride: .

I've got a 27mm impact socket (I'm assuming there is enough clearance to leave the clutch basket on and get the impact socket over the nut?)

I've also bought a deep 26mm 12 point socket which I'll beat onto the flywheel side.

Oh, and a Makita angle grinder for when I need to get my chain off to fit my new chain and sprockets :thumbsup:

Still waiting on an appropriate torque wrench to come in stock so I can do the starter clutch bolts.

Cheers,

Con

I hate 12 point sockets, they're useless and do more damage than they do good most of the time