Sign in to follow this  

Tires as suspension

My favorite, most used, most fun bike has no suspension. It is a Rokon 2 wheel drive bike. It runs 25" tall tires on 12" drum wheels. The wheels are hollow drums designed to hold 2.5 gallons fuel or water and are sealed. The atv tires are the suspension and I run 2.5 PSI. Yes thats too soft for great handling but anymore and it's too ruff and bouncy to ride. I developed a Yamaha engine for it, use a Harley Sporster springer seat and use the best Pitbull Growler radial tires on it. It's modified to be as good as it gets but I have questions on a idea for control of tire pressure.

I'm thinking if I drill about 8 15mm holes in the inner rim part of the drums then the air in the tire will react with the air in the drum. When I put a rock under the tire and sit on the bike the air pressure in the tire goes up to 3.5. PSI. It probably goes to 5 or 6 PSI when comming off of a jump or on a hard hit. If I in effect double the air volume by drilling the holes then how do you think it will react? I'm thinking I could run more air in the tire/drum combination but by doubling the air volume the bump charateristics would be the same? I don't really understand compressed air and how the extra volume would make the tire react. Any thoughts apreciated.

http://www.rokon.com/about/index.htm

hey this is really very interesting I like the idea of those bikes .

would think you could gain a fair bit of control over something with that idea like subtanks but then it might not do anything noticable

it is amazing how smooth a ride you get in a tractor with no suspension and huge floppy tyres. what about drilling the holes and partially filling the tyres with some liquid maybe glycerince or some oil.. ? you could run 1/3 liquid and even put shimstacks on the holes if you wanted.

Yeah, it'd help.

If you think about, basically, that PV=T, if you had a much larger amount of Volume, the Pressure would go up less...

It's just like running a larger air gap in the fork- or subtanks...