Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Issue

I have a 98 YZ 250 and the clutch lever quit working yesterday when riding. I bumpstarted the bike on a hill and just rode back to the truck in 1st gear. After I got home I started removing the cable from the arm on the engine case to check and make sure the cable hadn't just broken, which it was not broken. When pulling on the arm, it just came right out of the top of the case. What is the problem??? I am not sure how to tackle this one. Any advice would be helpful before I tear into the clutch??

My guess is that the shaft broke and only about half of it came out. Can you take a picture of the part that came out and post it? Someone here will be able to tell if it is broken.

There is a small allen screw that holds the lever in place so that it does not pop out, at least on the 00 and up models, should be the same.

Pull the clutch cover off and remove the 5 bolts for the pressure plate. Remove the pressure plate and you can leave the plates in or remove just a couple if they want to fall out. Remove the thrust bearing and the push rod, check that the push rod is ok. Now push the lever back in through the flywheel side, back into the case, it should just slide in at this point. Put the rod back in the same way and while holding the end with your finger, use your other hand and pull in the lever, the rod should extend outwards. If it does then the arm just popped out and it shouldn't be damaged.

If it does not then the clutch arm snapped and there's one piece in the case, and the other you can remove with your hand after your remove the flywheel.

Try that and we'll go from there

I'm looking at the parts diagram and I can't see a bolt that holds the lever in, you might be right in which the push rod does hold the arm in. The push rod may be worn down.

Pull the push rod out and take a look

It's most likely your pushrod that is causing the problem. I had this exact problem on a 96. Ask Roland he received alot of questions from me about it haha.

The part you pulled out is the push lever complete.

Well, I just tore into the clutch side and found the whole clutch plate assembly had come loose from the shaft. There is a nut with a special lock washer in the clutch plate assembly and it looks like someone who owned the bike before me had maybe put new clutch plates in it and put the nut back on and didn't bend the tabs back up on the lock washer to prevent the nut from spinning off. No broken parts, just retork the nut and lock it down and put it all back together and ride!!!! Thanks for the help

If you take a look at the fiche diagram below you can see the clutch arm (#24) is notched. Sometimes the edge of the notch wears out to the point that it will not catch the push rod (Part #23) I replaced mine when I did my restoration. I have not encountered an issue with the arm just pulling out of the case.

860_clutch.gif

If you look closer at part #24, in the annotated fiche below, the notch in it should catch on the clutch push rod to prevent it from sliding completely out of the case.

28407782.jpg

Sounds like either the push rod, or the clutch arm, or BOTH parts are worn enough to allow it to slip out.

I recommend replacing both parts, the bearing and seal on the clutch arm side, and add a 2mm valve shim from a YZ250F to make the clutch pull easier. You put it into the cup (Part #19) then insert the clutch push rod as you are reassembling the bike after replacing the parts above

Thanks for that tip goes to RCANNON. Made a HUGE difference in clutch action on my 98YZ

To expand a bit on my (well, RCANNON's tip)

Look at part #14 on the fiche below. Pick up the smallest one, a medium one, and a large one. Install the medium one and, if you like the easier action it provides, use it. If you want more, use the bigger one and, if you want less, use the smaller one.

1112_valve.gif

I used the 2.4mm part from the TT Store and it makes the clutch action silky smooth

Yes, the push rod does retain the clutch arm on the stator side, but on mine, since the nut #18 that holds the clutch basket in had come loose, it created extra play for the push rod, so it let the clutch arm just pull out. I retorked the nut and folded the tab on the lock washer and its working like new again.