Sign in to follow this  

New tie down product

Not might be the appropriate section, but I am looking to patent a new tie down design and would like some input from the community where it will most likely be marketed and used. Please leave me comments on what you would like to see in a tie down system and perhaps I'll be able to incorporate them. It will be a multi-position ratcheting type of strap tie down and will be able to be attached and detached for one or several tie downs being used on a central tie down device or singley. Thanks for all the input.

All I look for in a tie down is something easy and secure that doesn't send my bike skidding down the highway. :thumbsup:

Haha i thought about that this weekend, for when you have two bikes in the truck and instead of them shareing a hooking spot or hooking one tie down to the other there could be multiple straps on one hook. But you could probably rig something up yourself at home. Carabiners for the bar end of the straps would be nice and if whatever you're using to hual with has a hooking spot that allows it, carabiners on both ends.

I'm a Ancra tie down fan, I hate any type of ratcheting tie down , Plus I always use soft strap extensions everywhere I can....just my 2cents........

I like the idea of having a carabiner type attachment point on one end so I don't need to worry about that end falling off the hook in my truck, then I like the idea of a hook and soft strap for around the bars. But something spring loaded on the hook up by the bars so it cannot pop off the bars, or the soft strap cannot come out of the hook.

I like ratchet tie downs, but it would be nice if there was a secondary method to hold the strap in case the ratchet fails. Tying the strap does not work well.

Haha i thought about that this weekend, for when you have two bikes in the truck and instead of them shareing a hooking spot or hooking one tie down to the other there could be multiple straps on one hook. But you could probably rig something up yourself at home. Carabiners for the bar end of the straps would be nice and if whatever you're using to hual with has a hooking spot that allows it, carabiners on both ends.

+1 swiveling carabiners would be nice

Not might be the appropriate section, but I am looking to patent a new tie down design and would like some input from the community where it will most likely be marketed and used. Please leave me comments on what you would like to see in a tie down system and perhaps I'll be able to incorporate them. It will be a multi-position ratcheting type of strap tie down and will be able to be attached and detached for one or several tie downs being used on a central tie down device or singley. Thanks for all the input.

Lets see these babys?

I don't recall the brand name, but my son bought me a set for a birthday that has snap hooks at both ends (a bit like the carabiner, minus the screw lock), which does keep the hooks hooked, at least if using ring eyes to hook to. The bike end of the tie down can either be hooked on, or the strap looped over like a soft tie and hooked to a loop near the "buckle". It's an Ancra style system.

IMO, Ancras are still the best available as far as how well they work. The thickness of the webbing, the function of the buckles, locking, holding and releasing, is just nicer than any others. But the snap hooks and built-in soft extensions are cool features.

I agree with the negative comment regarding ratchets, although if it were a pull system like the Ancra type that could be tightened via ratchet, that would be cool in certain circumstances.

Those are quite similar to whatever it is that I have. The only significant difference is that mine has a snap hook at both ends. I don't think that matters at all when used with the soft extension, but it could if the strap were differently deployed. Those look good.

Pretty slick! You come on and say that you already have your straps ready to Patent but want opinions for possible changes/improvements! So you get "suggestions" without ever showing anything about what your design is.

Do you really have a design or are you fishing for ideas that you can combine to "build" your own idea?

Swiss

If he displays his product, he'll be promoting it, which isn't allowed under forum rules unless he's a paying sponsor, so what he's doing so far is behaving himself.

If he displays his product, he'll be promoting it, which isn't allowed under forum rules unless he's a paying sponsor, so what he's doing so far is behaving himself.

Thanks for answering that for me. Not to mention the fact that my idea is mine and I don't want it to be ripped off by the chinese until I at least build one myself and can at least get some credit for it. The main idea is the mechanism itself, but I am a long time off roader and also worked in the airfreight industry for almost 20 years and noticed a lot of things that annoyed me about a lot of the systems available and am simply asking what things folks who are using similar products like or dislike about how they work and give them some input so that they can, sometime in the future, have a product that will be more satisfactory. When it is built and available I will become a paying sponsor on TT and then you can check it out for real...

Oh and do technical drawings and prototyping fall into your "fishing for ideas" catagory?

Well, I hate to tell you this but the Chinese aren't playing well at the Patent Game. In other words they will build something that is virtualy identical to what you design and do it at 1/3 the cost if you have to get it made here in the States. The main idea behind Patents and Patent Pending was that others Played the Game and gave you the time and space to build your product and make a profit. THEN they swarmed in and copied the hell out of it. The Japanese supposedly have a respect for others ideas and don't copy for 5 years and then it is open season? The Chinese have no respect for this philosophy and build whatever they can make a profit at!

Displaying your idea in a public forum "should" give you the proof and timing to validate the invention of your idea/product. Believe it or not, there are several BILLION people around the planet that are thinking in similar fashion and many times you see competing products that were supposedly invented at the exact same time by people that were 1/2 a world away with no known association between them!

Most of these ideas that have been thrown around in this topic are already being used and marketed so how would they help anyway?

Not riding your case, just trying to be practical. I worked for a manufacturing company years ago that made DC Electric motors. The owner/engineer had a couple of radical ideas and we built prototypes. After he designed his high output alternator with rare earth magnets and we built it I mentioned to him that it was the same basic design that motorcycles had been using for almost 30 years. He didn't know anything about motorcycles so thought it was totally unique in design. The other thing was for making his DC motors he wanted to design a way to build the stack of plates that the wire windings went around from a "reel" of formed sheet. Instead of having workers hand lay individual plates to a given height his design would basically spin the core around and wrap the formed sheet around the core. It would build in height until meeting the needed design specs and then be cut and be ready to wrap the wire around. 5 times as fast and automated for efficiency. I designed the presentation for his idea in Autocad and he sent it off for a Patent search. Bad news, it was long ago patented but not being used for whatever reason. Nice idea but someone else had it first. Just because you don't see it out there doesn't mean that it hasn't been Patented already!

Good luck with your product, hope it works for you.

Swiss

Swiss does make a good point because as I am finding out the patent process is cost prohibitive and realistically gives you very little protection. I am pondering simply producing a product with the assumption it will get ripped off regardless of patents or not. Hopefully it might get picked up by a larger manufacturer to be produced under their name, etc.