Sign in to follow this  

Temperamental 450x

Hey guys, great site

I've got a frustrating issue with my 05. Some days it'll go some days it won't. I bought the bike in the summer and haven't changed a thing, other than regular maintenance. The bike was always easy to start. As the weather got colder and I started riding less the bike got progressively harder to start, understandable. Now the bike is acting strangely only firing some-days and other days not at all. The valves are spot on, carb/pilot is clean as a whistle, no air leaks fresh gas and a good spark. I'm at a loss. Any help trouble shooting this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ian

checked the spark plug? Probably time to put a new one in, especially if its never been done

When it got hard to start the spark plug was the first thing I changed. Exhaust seems good, I replaced the header gasket last week just in case. I'll check the grounds.

Thanks, Ian

Not sure how cold you are talking about but my 05 can be really cold nosed when the temp is below 50°. I usually have to open the throttle 5-8 times to prime it. I start with fuel on, choke on, 5 wacks of throttle....hit the start button.....if nothing 3 more wacks. It usually sputters to life at about 8 turns of the throttle. When hot it starts with just a touch of the button and no hot start required. I've read that slightly enriching the air screw can help with cold weather starting.

When i get it running it runs a little rough, carb needs some adjustment, but can't really adjust it now when the bike won't start. The only thing i can think of at this point is electrical. Could it be the TPS? I got the air screw as far as it can go without changing the jets. The bike is totally uncorked, which should make it easier to start...right?

I got the bike with a 168 main, 45 pilot, 55 leak. Not sure if thats ideal, haven't really messed with it because the bike ran like a rocket ship in the summer. I realize the jets will need to be changed for cold conditions (0 to 15 degrees below freezing), but i haven't got the chance to experiment because of my issue.

I can't figure out for the life of me why it's intermittent :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help

may try pulling your pilot jet out and verifying that it is not plugged. however, as long as you twist the throttle 5-6 times before you start then shouldn't be the pilot.

Because it will not start at all. You may check to verify that the plug in front of the head is still connected. This typically gets pulled off when removing the tank. I'm not sure of the plugs name but literally sits in front (towards front wheel) of the engine head.

Lastly, you should double check the following

You have fuel. As in make sure its squirting fuel from the carb into the engine.

You have a spark. Take spark plug out. With it still plugged in verify you have a spark. Visually verify this.

Can you describe into detail your starting sequence and what sounds/behavior that the bike displays as you go through your normal starting routine?

Funny problem. Might help to DC the kill button then back track all the wiring to the stator. Seems electrical to me too. Like dakynz says, if you take the plug out and can visualize strong consistent spark (or not) that would help a bunch in defining whether the problem is really electrical. It's not the TPS.

Funny problem. Might help to DC the kill button then back track all the wiring to the stator. Seems electrical to me too. Like dakynz says, if you take the plug out and can visualize strong consistent spark (or not) that would help a bunch in defining whether the problem is really electrical. It's not the TPS.

This is where I would start. With out checking for spark your just shooting in the dark. Check for spark with a screw driver or such and not your spark plug.

Just stick it in the plug boot and hold the shank near a ground. Should make a nice blue spark if your electrical system is in working order.

I think i found the problem.

So i go back and check all the connections, turns out the cap assembly was loose...no spark. I checked the connections a couple weeks ago after checking the valves and all was good. Somehow the cap assembly came loose with no riding? I looked at the connections a little closer and realized its kinda mickey moused, theres a small screw nail on the coil end as well as the cap end that the spark plug wire twists on to. I fiddled with it and can't get a good connection.

Anybody got a fix for this? Epoxy maybe?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

Yeah.......that's pretty much how you do it. Its a somewhat common problem.