Sign in to follow this  

Losing 2 wheels- Bored of quad

Hello. Im 20yrs old and been riding a raptor 350 for the past 5yrs. I can do anything on that bike. No hill climb left un-tried. Not succefully climbed but "un-tried":smirk:. Anyway I rode a friends ttr125 last trip out to the mountains and I fell in love with this whole less wheels is better thing. But that thing was for a six yr old girl. But still the most fun ever. I really been wanting to get a yz-125. Im 160lb 6'. I think it would work, just want some peoples opinion. All i ride is trails. from tight stuff, river trails, open fields, dirts fire roads, and a make shift mx coarse someone made proballly 12yrs ago.

A YZ125 is a good bike for the track, but not that great for trails/woods (compared to a trails/woods bike) without some mods.

If you go that route, think about changing the front sprocket (smaller) and adding a flywheel weight. If you like 4-strokes, a WR250F is in the same league as a YZ but more trail-oriented. It too will needs some mods to go from the showroom to a great trails/woods bike, but when you're done, you'll have done less to the bike to get it that way.

However, a WR250F is a race-engine'd 4-stroke and the maintenance on it is significantly more than a TTR-125 or YZ-125. If you're riding for fun, maybe a TTR-230 might be something to look into. It's not in the same class as a YZ 125, but it's a great casual bike with low maintenance costs.

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/yamaha/off-road/2009/tt-r/230.html

I'm not beholden to "blue", just going with the brand you mentioned. The other colors have similar bikes if you haven't decided on a brand yet.