Sign in to follow this  

squeel after rebuild

Somewhat concerned about my 95 kx250. I just did a top end (which included assembling the power valve correctly unlike the po). Upon rebuild I decided to use atf instead of gear oil. I filled all my fluids and set the bike to factory jetting specs. The bottom end seem in good shape from what I could tell (no movement on the flywheel and no up and down on the rod). The bike fired right up but I immediately noticed a mild squeeling noise while idling. I've heard crank bearings squeeling but I never touched them and rod moved freely. I've also heard of the kickstarter causing a squeel.

I was feeling pretty good about the project until now. Any insight would be appreciated.

i would be draining the auto tranny fluid and putting in the proper gear oil mate,may be your problem?

Sounds {?} like a spinning bearing to me. As in the cases.

i would be draining the auto tranny fluid and putting in the proper gear oil mate,may be your problem?

Yes, ATF is a horrible lube. It should never be used in any transmission. Everyone knows that "motorcycle specific" oil is the only oil for motorcycles. ATF or "auto" motor oil can only damage your motor.:thumbsup:

It's hard to diagnose a "squealing" noise over the internet...but, unless it's a pig (no offence to the XR riders), squealing is not a good sound. Something is not in right or is in need of replacement.

this is not the cause of your problem, the tranny oil works great

Just thought I'd give a little update. Well I can officially rule out any tranny bearings as with the clutch pulled and in gear the squeeling/squeeking noise remains unchanged. As of now the noise only appears after the bike is completely warmed up. The first start of the motor it was immediate, the second start it was half way though warming up and the final breakin run the noise didn't appear until after the bike was warmed up and 10 minutes into the breakin ride. I can pretty confidently say that I'm hearing noise from the kick starter area.

So i think I will replace all the bearings and bushings on the kickstarter and while I'm in there I figure I'll replace the waterpump bearings and seals as well as the govenor bearings.

Is there anything else I should while I have the side cover off? Is the water pump or the govenor prone to failure?

Thanks for listening

Matt

Oh I forgot to mention that with a fresh top end and the powervalve assembled right the bike runs awesome. The gnarly pipe now gives it power everywhere low mid and top. I can imagine why anyone would want to saddle up a kx500 after riding a fresh 250

On the Wiseco we just put in my son's bike, it said the rings could go in with either side up. There was no taper on the end of the rings and the locating pins were centered in the grooves. I don't know if they're all like that, but this one was.

Just and FYI.

Winkel