Riding on snow: Rut practice.

I have a new yz250 ('08, but new)?. I have been itching to ride ,so I have been riding on well-packed ski-doo trails. Once you are up and the trim set (not unlike a speed-boat), I leave a 3-4 inch rut the whole way, deeper when I crack it open. The problem is as I go back and forth down this 10 mile trail it gets quite rutty, to the point where it is a real challenge to not get sketchy and pitched-off.:ride:

I have had some real close calls..I just crack it open and let the front come-up.

I have to say, I am getting way better at steering by pressing down on either peg while tilting the bike. I don't know if I would have ever figured out how to stay cool in ruts, if it wasn't for all this snow riding. I can't wait to try it on a muddy track.

Try riding on a lake with like a foot of wet snow or more. Same feeling except you can even practice your ruts on turns. Youd be suprised how much of an influence snow ruts have on the bike, almost like dirt ruts!

Try riding on a lake with like a foot of wet snow or more. Same feeling except you can even practice your ruts on turns. Youd be suprised how much of an influence snow ruts have on the bike, almost like dirt ruts!

:ride: I'd be to worried 'bout droppin' through the ice, or wipin' out and go spinning off onto the thin ice.?

If you haven't tried it yet, throw a bunch of hex-head sheet metal screws into the lugs of an old tire. If you really like that, go buy an old set of ice-racing tires (make sure they turn both ways, not just for oval track).