Sign in to follow this  

450X valve job. Too much $$$ ???

I recently found out my stock valves on my 05 are done. I bought the bike used and and it had some starting issues so of course it's got to be the valves, right? Anyway, for SS valves, springs, (piston and rings since he's in there and we don't know when or if it was changed) the guy told me $700 to $800. Keep in mind this is a mom and pop shop not a Honda dealer. I have a ride coming up this weekend and I was also told that they could be adjusted and I could get a good weekend ride out of them before they would finally go. Any input out there guys? What do you think? Am I going to have to bend over and take it? I'm reading good things on here about the TRX valves. Thanks for any input.

You can buy a whole new head with TRX SS intakes for $500 or you can send it out and get it done right and for considerably less money.

If your valves moved once, then they should be able to be shimmed. If they've moved again, then they're done. If they're "done", don't pass go, get the work done.

The exhausts on that bike are SS from the factory, only the intakes are Ti. Are you doing all four, or just the two intakes? $700-$800 seems pricey regardless of the shop. I'd expect $500-$600 for a quality job using Ti intakes. :thumbsup:

For that money you can have BigBoreThumpers.com send you an 08'crf450R head for your engine, brand new, all valves/springs installed, ready to bolt up. I think they are around 550ish for all new, no core. Or, you can have agentsmithracing do your head, they will charge around $350+shipping for TRX steel valves. They say that they last longer than the TI crap we have. No noticeable difference in hp. Don't let a mom and pop shop do your valves. Send it off to a known reputable shop so you don't have to do them again right away. If you keep the filter and oil clean, you should get around 200hrs out of a set of valves.

And, since you have to pull off your head anyway, you might as well swap to an R head. it flows much better and will give you more hp. That, an R stock exhaust, and a modified air box will get you a noticeable power increase.

I just got off the phone with the guy and this is basically what I got from him.

He said I have the valves where you can ride it this weekend but I can go anymore on them. I't's only the intake and the exhaust valves are in great shape.

Pretty much I think he was giving me a worst case scenario before he cracked it. Basically hope for the best and expect the worst. We're thinking of going with Kibble valves and springs on the intake side only with new gasket. He also said he will check the piston and if it looks good just go with new rings. This guy worked for Honda for many years and went on his own. He was recommended by a good friend who has been pleased with his work in the past. Anyway, after my weekend ride I'll let you guys know what number I get when we decide just how much is actually needed.

As far as my bike goes, airbox mod, Yosh exhaust, Pro Tapers, Scotts stabilizer and Maxxis.

$800.00 for a 'roll the bike in' repair is a bargain. Full tear-down, repair, build-up and shim takes a while to do. If you are not mechanically confident, have someone do it. If you are, follow the 'stickys' at the top of the forum and do some searchs about 'how to remove the head'. Then you can save 300-400 bucks.

$800.00 for a 'roll the bike in' repair is a bargain. Full tear-down, repair, build-up and shim takes a while to do. If you are not mechanically confident, have someone do it. If you are, follow the 'stickys' at the top of the forum and do some searchs about 'how to remove the head'. Then you can save 300-400 bucks.

Krannie, do you think the Honda repair manual is sufficient enough to do the job right.

A person with a little shoppng around can find all the needed parts (everything!)to do a head/top end on a 450x for about $300

I suggest having a "pro" do the head labor (install new valves), somebody with the proper tools. Expect to pay $100-$150.

If all you needed to do was tear down and replace the piston and rings your looking at around 4-6 hrs to do the job (the first time going slow) I built an 08 kawi 450r last week in around 3 hrs and that was the first time I did on of those, these engines are not rocket science.

The Honda service manual is nice but if all you need to do is a top end the "owner" manual has all the info. The clymer manual for the 450x is great IMO, if you cant get a Honda service manual no worries. Like I said though all you need to do a top end is the owner manual.

• Like 1

I was looking around on-line recently. crf's only has a OEM head assembly listed for $329.95, you can add a gasket for $35.00. For this price on a new head, seems like you could replace the head every 200 hrs or so, even on a tight budget. Anyone have experience with their OEM head?

That might not be a bad idea. I have a service manual and I think I could probably manage removing and replacing the head. I'm absolutely sure that i can not rebuild a head!!!!

I was looking around on-line recently. crf's only has a OEM head assembly listed for $329.95, you can add a gasket for $35.00. For this price on a new head, seems like you could replace the head every 200 hrs or so, even on a tight budget. Anyone have experience with their OEM head?

that doesn't include valves.

The Honda service manual is nice but if all you need to do is a top end the "owner" manual has all the info. The clymer manual for the 450x is great IMO, if you cant get a Honda service manual no worries. Like I said though all you need to do a top end is the owner manual.

Good to know. Thanks. I have both the Service and User Manuals.

unless your having your local dealer install your new valves, I would ask whoever is doing it if you could sit in and observe how its done. You will learn a lot and have a better understanding how it works.

Krannie, do you think the Honda repair manual is sufficient enough to do the job right.

As DD said, yes you can do it by the manual, no problem. I would still read the posts in here for tips and tricks on the cam chain and tensioner, checking cam timing, etc.

You can buy a whole new head with TRX SS intakes for $500 or you can send it out and get it done right and for considerably less money.

Complete? as in someone puts them together? and $500 gets me one? ...or, you buy all the parts, and put it together piece by piece?

Just wondering, since it sounds like Adam could go this route, and do it himself... with manual guidance, and then have his own head done... and sell it, or keep it as backup. Selling it would bring the cost of a $500 purchase down considerably.

The Kibblewhite valves and springs are not cheap, so I don't think $800 is totally out to lunch. That being said, I suggest you go with the OEM TRX valves and springs and save yourself a bunch of cash. I got the TRX intakes and springs for about $100CAN if I remember correctly. Then I took the head into a local machine shop and they cleaned it up and installed the valves for another $100. Two years later and no problems!

The Kibblewhite valves and springs are not cheap, so I don't think $800 is totally out to lunch. That being said, I suggest you go with the OEM TRX valves and springs and save yourself a bunch of cash. I got the TRX intakes and springs for about $100CAN if I remember correctly. Then I took the head into a local machine shop and they cleaned it up and installed the valves for another $100. Two years later and no problems!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just got off the phone with the guy and this is basically what I got from him.

He said I have the valves where you can ride it this weekend but I can go anymore on them. I't's only the intake and the exhaust valves are in great shape.

Pretty much I think he was giving me a worst case scenario before he cracked it. Basically hope for the best and expect the worst. We're thinking of going with Kibble valves and springs on the intake side only with new gasket. He also said he will check the piston and if it looks good just go with new rings. This guy worked for Honda for many years and went on his own. He was recommended by a good friend who has been pleased with his work in the past. Anyway, after my weekend ride I'll let you guys know what number I get when we decide just how much is actually needed.

As far as my bike goes, airbox mod, Yosh exhaust, Pro Tapers, Scotts stabilizer and Maxxis.

That seems much more reasonable than what was previously posted. Especially if the whole job is done turnkey. :thumbsup: