Sign in to follow this  

WHAT?????? ..... serously!

hey,

went to honda shop today and picked up my head and other parts for my bike. And i asked how long of a breaking period i should have and he said got threw 10 tanks of gas and it will be fully broken in !!!!:ride::banghead::lol::banghead:: I thouhgt are you serous???? he said after 5 tanks i can start giving it more power.

i don't know!!! what do you think :thumbsup::

Edited by Farmerjd

That does seem excessive. On a similar bike w/odometer the break-in period is 600 miles. That's about 5 tanks. I would gradually ramp up the power to the level you expect to ride within 5 tanks.

10 tanks of gas? That's something like 1000 miles! The guy is goofy.

Start the bike and let it come up to operating temp. Shut it off and let it cool down completely. Do this three times. Check everything over REAL good, no leaks, etc. Take the bike out and ride it easy for ONE TANK of gas, take lots of brakes during that first tank. Change the oil. Then RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

He might be trying to say that the engine is fully broken in at around 10 tanks. That doesn't mean you need to "break it in" for 10 tanks. Just do what Mike said and you'll be fine, the only thing I would add is to not keep it revved up real high for long periods of time at first.

its a 230..

just ride the damn thing. haha

when i bought it new i let it idle and cool down and that was it.

after i rebuilt it i let it high idle for 10 mins to break in the new cam then rode the hell out of it.

no problems.

All I did was start my bike up right when I brought it home and putted around on it for 1 day and I ride it like crazy...no problems

10 tanks of gas? That's something like 1000 miles! The guy is goofy.

Start the bike and let it come up to operating temp. Shut it off and let it cool down completely. Do this three times. Check everything over REAL good, no leaks, etc. Take the bike out and ride it easy for ONE TANK of gas, take lots of breaks during that first tank. Change the oil. Then RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

:thumbsup:

Thats retarded. I watched them put mine together from a crate in 03. Then I rode it out of the parking lot then did wheelies up and down the road up to 6th gear. I was a stupid kid at the time but i had the bike for 3 more years and hardly ever changed the oil, changed the filter, or adjusted the valves. and I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. Those engines are bullet-proof man.

Just change the oil FREQUENTLY while the engine is wearing in, as it will have plenty of metal shavings and metal dust mixed in with it. I would change it after the first tank, and possibly every other tank for the first 10 tankfulls.

Since these bikes only hold one quart, it's a cheap way to keep any grit out of the oil. Remember, these bikes don't even have oil filters.

For best results, drain the oil while it is HOT, right after you ride. That way, all the grit will not have had time to settle out, and since the oil is hot and thin, you'll get more of it to drain out.

I do ALL of my oil changes HOT, right after shutting the bike off.

Good Luck!

hey,

went to honda shop today and picked up my head and other parts for my bike. And i asked how long of a breaking period i should have and he said got threw 10 tanks of gas and it will be fully broken in !!!!:banghead::banghead::worthy::banghead:: I thouhgt are you serous???? he said after 5 tanks i can start giving it more power.

i don't know!!! what do you think :ride::

The only things in an engine that do any "breaking in" are things that rub like rings, what are called plain bearings (bushings, insert barings), transmission bushings, thrust washers, and transmission forks. These things gain a little clearance in the first few miles and thus keeping RPM low during the period is a good idea.

I consider an engine fully broke in after ten hours, but Powroll says they get best power after 40 hours.

dayum! Many people are replacing pistons at 40 hours :ride: