Sign in to follow this  

Question about ring gap...

I've finally got the parts in to finish getting my engine together. I've got the first oversize Wiseco piston going into my '86 XR600R. I've got the new rings in, and need to file the end gap. Is it safe to assume that the gap should be the same as the specs in the Honda service manual for the stock parts, or should I contact Wiseco to find this info out? Anyone have the paperwork handy for the Wiseco piston kit that might have that info in it?

Actually, disregard, I spoke too soon... lol I searched Wiseco's site and found their instructions here - http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Manuals/RingEndGap.pdf

According to that, I should have .015 gap in the top ring, and .019 in the bottom.

(97.5mm bore / 25.4 to convert to inches, multiply that by .004" for the top, and .005" for the bottom)

Hope I got that right! lol

Actually, disregard, I spoke too soon... lol I searched Wiseco's site and found their instructions here - http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Manuals/RingEndGap.pdf

According to that, I should have .015 gap in the top ring, and .019 in the bottom.

(97.5mm bore / 25.4 to convert to inches, multiply that by .004" for the top, and .005" for the bottom)

Hope I got that right! lol

+1,,always follow the piston manufacturers specs on ring gap and also there spec on piston clearances...

Keith,,,you/they did go by Wiseco`s spec on bore to piston clearance didn`t they???????????

Hope to see you screaming your head off in that promised video soon...:thumbsup:

Brian

Oh and interesting enough,when i got my J.E. piston i had the engine shop bore to the J.E. spec, which J.E. said .003 clearance taken at 1/2 inch up the piston skirt...When i checked ring gap they were perfect,right on spec:smirk:......Which i thought could never happen:moon:

Brian

Yeah, I checked with Wiseco before we did the bore, they said .003" wall clearance as well, so he bored it to that. That may be why my rings were tight, the piston is slightly used, maybe enough to throw the new rings off... lol I know they were both tight, I just finished fitting them to the cylinder using a file and a feeler guage. Should be ready to put it together tomorrow, weather is supposed to be good too. :thumbsup:

those numbers for gap are about same as what xrs told me on the 650L.