Sign in to follow this  

2003 XR 250... how much is it worth?

Well guys, im considering selling my 250 after 4 years. I found a 2008 crf250x with seriously 42 miles on it. (I believe the guy, not just the trip meter) for 4500, maybe less. Whats even better, he might be interested in trading.

Here's what I have on my bike. Ill probably take the trail tech vapor off and hook it up on the crf if i get it.

Supertrapp exhaust can

Pro-taper se bars

ims oil line gaurd

tusk hand gaurds

tusk skid plate

trail tech vapor

acerbis lower fork protectors

k&n air filter

kenda millville rear tire (90% left)

dunlop front tire (about 75-80% left)

Basically, I am looking for a more powerful bike thats lighter with better suspension. I thought about getting a crf250r, but im gonna ride this x in a couple weeks and see what i think. If anybody has ridden the two and would like to give a comparison, I would appreciate it.

John

Depending on your market, probably anywhere between $1400 and $2200 depending on how pristine the XR is.

If anybody has ridden the two and would like to give a comparison, I would appreciate it.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a simple trail rider & nothing more. I ride an XR250R most of the time.

I have a buddy with a 250X, modded all to hell. First time we rode together he wanted to swap bikes & I quickly obliged.

His X didn't feel any lighter to me & was much less manueverable, believe it or not. In the tight stuff I wanted my bike back. Snappier, hell yes. Smooth power delivery, nope. Better traction, nope. More comfortable, hell no. Better suspension, yeah I guess so but much stiffer despite revalving... but I didn't push my luck for fear of wrecking his bike. (I hate fixing someone elses ride.) Radiator shrouds were good for knee grip & the e-start was heaven though. Aftermarket Rekluse clutch grew on me to the point of laziness... but I liked it.

Are you a trail rider or a racer? You want to ride or wrench? (He's had his share of CRFX engine woes. Think valves & other stuff.) Deciding factors imo. The X was fun for the snap, but not enough for me to want to trade in the long run. Maybe if I owned it I'd have had it set up more for my tastes I reckon. My "old-school" KDX is much more to my liking if I want a power thrill.

But test ride the X & make up your own mind. Your experience might differ. :thumbsup: But if he's interested in tading for your XR, you should wonder why he's be willing to trade a more modern bike for yours.

PS. My bud recently purchased a KTM 300 & the tricked out CRFX sits in his garage now afaik. Relegated to "buddy bike" status.

thanks for your input. interesting to hear that the crf didnt feel any lighter to you. Ive been on a friends 450x before and i love how low of center of gravity the bike has. It feels like it will lean side to side without any effort. I mostly ride trails and looking into some harescrambles this summer. I basically have mastered everything i can do on the xr, but like you said the power on the crf isnt necessarily a lot more, its just a different kind of power. im going to ride it in a week and a half. Ill let you know what i think.

john

3766733914_649f4ac84f_b.jpg

thanks for your input.

Well keep in mind I'm a long time XR fanboy, and I don't race. :ride:

The CRFX might be right up your alley. It just wasn't for me is all. The few racers that I ride with around here all have (& rave about) the KTM 300 though.

That XR looks nice! Money says you'll miss it when your not racing. :thumbsup:

hmmm, I had my XR250 since new in 98, love the bike and will not part with it

for some years we raced together

she is anything but stock - of course - and in her old age getting a little rough, too

used to have 2 CRF250Xes, more spontaneous power, button, after revalving better suspension, stock was canguroo-mode, more maintenance necessairy, stock valves did not live long, running rough compared to the XR ... loved them but they are gone

wonder why the p-o-c XR still is here

also in the garage a CRF450X with a tag, from day one that thing sounded like a bucket full of loose nuts and bolts in the engine, very rough compared to any old single, even my vintage XL600 runs much, much smoother,

funny thing all the power does not make me any faster in rough terrain, puts a smile on my face on foresty service roads though

test ride and decide for yourself

whether you are more of an XR or CRF rider

Looks like I might get the chance to try another CRF250X tomorrow. (That's if the owner offers to let me take her for a spin.) If I do, I'll report back here. You never know... I might have a different take this go round.

sorry to bring up an old thread, but i thought i would finally post some follow up. I ended up keeping the xr for another season. I started looking for a newer bike again this winter. I looked at a 2007 yamaha yz250f today. Not a scratch on the bike and the stock rear tire has at least 90% left on it. Ill post a ride report once the snow clears in case anyone is interested.

If you want to read more, heres the thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951948&highlight=airborne2007

So, if anyone is interested in a very clean 2003 xr250, shoot me a pm. Its gonna be a sad day when it leaves. :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of the new ride....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16145584/downsize.jpg