Sign in to follow this  

best 250f for a shorter rider?

I am 5'8 and currently have an 06 yz250f and cant touch both feet on the ground, For my next bike I was thinking aroung 09, I would like to know peoples opinions. I was thinking honda just because I hear they are more compact.

thanks guys

honda has bad valves i believe..

correct me if im wrong,

but if your short, go for the best suspension/chasis bike.

Or if u have money, you can buy a new suspension and make it for your hight.

im the same hight as you and i ride a 250 2t.. its hard to handle when you can't touch the ground. It also feels heavy for me but im only 135lbs.

How much do you weight??

honda has bad valves i believe..

correct me if im wrong,

but if your short, go for the best suspension/chasis bike.

Or if u have money, you can buy a new suspension and make it for your hight.

im the same hight as you and i ride a 250 2t.. its hard to handle when you can't touch the ground. It also feels heavy for me but im only 135lbs.

How much do you weight??

sorry i spelled so bad, but it was rushed..

im at school sneaknig this. :ride::thumbsup:

The Honda is going to present the same problems for you. It is not suited to shorties at all either. Speedmetal Designs makes a lowering kit for the subframe and durelle racing makes a low seat as well. You could chop the seat yourself with an electric knife, that helps. Also you can look at elongating the holes on subframe where it mounts and that will drop the rear fender a bit. I am 5'5" with a 27" inseam so I have tried every trick out there. Good luck.

sorry i spelled so bad, but it was rushed..

im at school sneaknig this. :ride::thumbsup:

I am 185 and i have no problem with the bike feeling heavey just sucks that I cant touch the ground

Where can I find a lowering linkage? I dont know about cutting my seat just because with my luck I will ruin my seat.

My dad is 5'8 and 150lbs. My friends yzf is very ridable by him, but a bit tall...

Where can I find a lowering linkage? I dont know about cutting my seat just because with my luck I will ruin my seat.

Kouba or Yamalink for the links. I am with you on the seat cutting. Take it to a local upholstery shop. Should not cost more than $30 - $35. I got my YZ trimmed in to a step seat. A little hard on the rear but you shouldn't sitting anyway unless you are old and slow like me:thumbsup:

With your weight (no offence) you should be able to get a decent amount of sag. Try playing with your suspension and make it softer. If it's too tall with a shaved seat, and proper sag.. lowering links are the onlly option i could think of.

good luck :thumbsup:

How long have you been riding? I know when i got into riding a few years ago i thought the samething the bikes being to tall i am 5'10" and weigh 140. but after riding for a little while i like the hieght. I ride a CRF 450X and a cr 250, I belive all bikes ride about the same height. I know the honda 230 was built for shorter people but is under powered. Plus your not sapost to but your feet flat on the ground when you are sitting there. i beleive you should be almost on your toes. maybe someone can conferm or deny this for me.

i like the feeling of a shorter bike, better cornering in the trails :thumbsup:

Proper sag setup with the bikes of your choice (all linkage it seems) is the first step as others have stated. Some inseam-challenged riders have not enough sag and it just puts their feet further away (not to mention make the bike ride poorly). In the same note, too much sag just to get your feet closer makes the bike's suspension and overall handling suffer.

Shaving the seat a little is also a good idea. But that frame rail gets very uncomfortable after a bit.

Internal spacers to decrease travel and get the bike lower is another option.

holy crap i wish i bought the Junior-X

its like the handleing and feeling of my old DRZ125

but with the power of a 250F...

by the time i have the money for it though i will fit on any bike comfortably.

i wish it was 3 years ago and i was only 5'3 or 4

Shaving your seat will be so much cheaper than a different linkage. I believe they are around $150-$200. And that's if you can do the labor yourself.